4 month old won't nurse in bed anymore! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS just turned 4 months old this week. I always nurse him to sleep sitting on the couch and then put him in a rock and play sleeper next to my bed until I come to bed/until he wakes for the first time of the night. At that point I bring him to bed with me and he sleeps there the rest of the night. About a week ago his sleep habits changed drastically. He was only waking one to two times a night to nurse before and now he is up all.night.long. The problem is he is refusing to nurse laying in bed all of a sudden! We had 6 bad nights in a row...2 good nights where he went mostly back to normal, and nursed in bed. Now the last 2 nights have been bad again. Last night I only managed to get him to latch on in bed once and he nursed for about 3 minutes and started crying and wiggling. The only thing I have found that works, is to get up, nurse him to sleep sitting on the couch, and then put him in his swing. And even then he only sleeps for 45min-an hour before we do it all over again. Sometimes if I just sit up in bed and hold him in my arms he falls right back to sleep. So I can't figure out if he's uncomfortable sleeping next to me, or what the deal is. I haven't tried putting him in a crib yet...I may try tonight and see if that helps at all. Has anyone experienced anything like this? It stinks...cause I love nursing in bed/co-sleeping! :(

#2 of 4 Old 03-17-2012, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

My first thought was ear infection.  With an ear infection certain positions combined with drinking can be very painful.  I would get him checked out for that first. 

My second thought was this is the age when kids start looking around a lot and are just too interested in the world to do much nursing when they should.  I remember having to do the completely dark room trick just to get them to settle in for a long daytime feeding. 

My third thought was a funky growth spurt where he would need to nurse more often. 

But, overall, I would get him checked out for an ear infection first and foremost.  Good luck! 

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#3 of 4 Old 03-17-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

He just had his 4 month checkup on Thursday, so no ear infections. I'm happy to say though that last night was better and he did nurse in bed all night. I found that a few times when he was refusing to latch on and fussing, I just pulled him closer to me and had his cheek against my breast and he fell right back to sleep. So maybe something is just causing him to wake up a bunch and he's not necessarily hungry...I did have to put him in the swing twice last night when he wouldn't stop squirming, but overall it was much better. hopefully this too is just a phase that shall pass...

#4 of 4 Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Is he teething? My 3 month old is, and he does that too.

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page