Bedtime success! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Just thought I'd share what has made the difference for us with the bedtime transition -

It's always been a struggle to get DS down for the night.  He's high energy/high needs, and just can't stop playing.  We've always done a transition with dim lights, noisy toys off, no screens (we don't really watch TV anyway), quiet voices.  That helped some, but still when I'd go to nurse him down he would nurse for a minute, then run around the room, come back to nurse for another two minutes, then snuggle with DH, come back to nurse, etc, for at least 20-30 minutes before settling down.

Well, now I feel like an idiot, because the only thing we had to do differently was black out the room!  We'd been trying to get him to go to sleep with a dim lamp on.  One night I decided to turn it off to see if he would be less distracted if he couldn't see anything, and he was dead weight in my arms in under five minutes.  

We've been doing it for a week and it has worked every time.  We still do dim lights and everything after dinner, then we all get in bed and read a book, then lights totally out and he nurses to sleep in minutes.  

DS is 15 months, BTW.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#2 of 2 Old 03-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

awesome!

funny you wrote this because just the other day we were at my inlaws and the room we were in had no dim lamp so we just went with no lights. it was pitch black but...my 4 month DS didn't do like yours did - he kept his little eyes open reeeeeally wide :) once my eyes adjusted i could see these little beedy black eyes blinking. it was really funny. maybe once he's older and can run around the "blackout" might work.

Tags
Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page