Side-sleeping and SIDS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just a question for all you veteran co-sleepers: Do you strictly adhere to the back-to-sleep recommendation? 

I know that cosleeping greatly reduces the risk of SIDS, but it is always still on my mind each night when I lie down with my 12-week old. 

We nurse lying down and most of the time I gently nudge him onto his back when he is done, but he tends to keep sucking gently after falling sleep. This doesn't bother me at all since I can sleep through it. I'm very protective of his little spine though and am pretty uncomfortable having him sleep on his back with his neck twisted so oddly towards my breast. He normally pops off on his own after awhile, but then gently puts his little cheek on my breast. My mommy instincts just want to stay cuddled with him on his side with close access to my breasts. Is this increasing the risk for SIDS? It seems so natural to keep him on his side. When he's on his back, he tends to throw his hands out as if searching for security and it just makes me want to keep him close even more.

What do you other mamas do?

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#2 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a now 4 - month - old , who co - sleeps with me and sometimes , she lays on her back after she is done feeding , sometimes I let her stay cuddled up to me . 

I do make sure , that I don´t cover her little face with my blanket by accident , even though I believe , that even a little baby would fight off something , that covers their face , but just to be safe , I do !

Other than that , I like having her close to me . I am a very calm sleeper myself , many times I wake up in the exact same position , that I fell asleep in , so I am not worried , that I would roll on top of her in my sleep and I feel , that she sleeps better as well with me close to her .

Plus , I have never heard of a baby , that has died of SIDS , while sleeping in his Mother´s arms , so if you both enjoy sleeping like that , then I would do just that , enjoy it while it lasts and he is not a baby anymore .  

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#3 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I personally would let my baby just sleep on its side. I never worried about keeping them on their backs when sleeping with me or even near me. Mine slept on their backs, sides and tummy.

Whatever works best for baby and you.

#4 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 PM

My babies often sleep on their sides while night nursing and sleeping.

Mama to three

#5 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 PM

I let all three of mine sleep on their sides, too.  Assuming they are alternating sides during the night, this helps avoid the flat head problems so many babies have these days.  When they napped without me, I did roll them over to their backs.

#6 of 11 Old 03-31-2012, 07:53 AM

Yeah, mine sleeps on her side both with me and in her bassinet.  When she was littler I wedged her bun-bun (it's a stuffed rabbit with teether paws) up under her tummy so she couldn't roll into her tummy in her sleep.  When she's with me she's on her side facing me so she can't roll onto her tummy.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#7 of 11 Old 03-31-2012, 10:20 AM

My ds slept just like your LO OP. His pediatrician said it was fine as long as we didn't have huge fluffy blankets.

And now that he is 3yo, he still sleeps on his side.
#8 of 11 Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 PM

I've had this concern too, but I figured that plenty of babies have side slept for a long time so ours should be fine.

#9 of 11 Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 PM

My older one slept on her side, and it seems like that seemed acceptable by the pediatrician at hte time, but they've changed their minds and about that since then. I did put the younger one on her back but she always slept through the night so she wasn't nursing all night and I imagine that's why she stayed on her back.
#10 of 11 Old 04-03-2012, 07:04 PM

When my 9 week old DD was born she could not tolerate to be on her back at all for any reason, she would scream so the whole world could hear.  Needless to say, I let her sleep on her side with me.  She was always too close to me to roll onto her tummy, and my instincts like yours OP were to let her sleep on her side.  Now she can sleep either on her back or on her side and either one is ok with me, as long her head is in a way that she can breathe. 

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#11 of 11 Old 04-04-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I feel a little better hearing from you Mamas!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

Tags
Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page