1-Year-Old Nursing Every Hour @ Night - Developmental? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS just turned one this month, and all of a sudden he is nursing every single hour at night. loveeyes.gif

He has done this before when teething (and generally flopped like a fish all night), but that doesn't seem to be the issue.  He is already walking (and running!) everywhere - that really started to take off in the last couple months.  Currently, he is still babbling up a STORM (has always been a talker - very animated hand gestures, expressions and intonations!) and has been making lots of new sounds/combinations.  

Speech seems to be snowballing - he's sprinkling more and more words into his babble - for months he has stuck mostly with "mama, dada, momo (cat)" (and words I'm not sure he really knows what they mean, like "wiggle" and "giggle" - but cute nonetheless! love.gif) .  The past week or two he's added "ball, rock, book, bye-bye, go, no" to name a few, and started combining "no" with other words while shaking his head, or waving and saying "bye-bye" at the same time, etc.

I guess I am just wondering if this new burst of speech could be the culprit - what do you think the cause might be?  I suppose it doesn't really matter, because we co-sleep, and I will keep plugging away with the hourly nighttime feedings regardless, but it does help to satisfy my curiosity (and give those sleepless hours an added sense of purpose! caffix.gif)!

Did any of your LOs go through this?  How long did it last?  Support and ideas welcome!  smile.gif Thanks!!! 

(x-posted from Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy)

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 AM

It has definitely been the case with my kids that developmental milestones provoked restless sleep at night and lots more nursing in general!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 AM

Language explosions in my house ALWAYS came with almost no sleep - it was like DS's little mind just couldn't stop thinking about words and what they meant and how to say them so he just couldn't sleep (or stay asleep!).

Also, one year molars wreaked havoc on our sleep. And took MONTHS to come in. If you haven't tried motrin at bedtime to see if it helps, you should.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both!!  I will have to bust out the teething tablets/tylenol/etc. to see if it makes a difference.  He doesn't seem as fussy as he usually is when teething, but has been chewing on his fingers some (eta: his gums didn't seem swollen like they usually are, but maybe harder to tell with molars?).  He definitely was jabbering well after bedtime last night, and each and every time he woke up to nurse he was sort of sleep-talking, too (eyes still closed, but mouth running! haha).

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle18 View Post

Thank you both!!  I will have to bust out the teething tablets/tylenol/etc. to see if it makes a difference.  He doesn't seem as fussy as he usually is when teething, but has been chewing on his fingers some (eta: his gums didn't seem swollen like they usually are, but maybe harder to tell with molars?).  He definitely was jabbering well after bedtime last night, and each and every time he woke up to nurse he was sort of sleep-talking, too (eyes still closed, but mouth running! haha).

Maybe he's a sleep talker :) Mine sure is! He's 3yo, and has been talking non-stop for well over a year now, and he regularly wakes me up in the middle of the night laughing and having some dream conversation.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 AM

Mine is still too young for any language explosions (other kinds of explosions we are experts at, however!) but I will second the notion that any kind of increase in night nursings that attracts your attention is generally related to a physical or developmental milestone.  Last time we experienced all night nursing for more than a night or two I was busy wondering what could be happening when I noticed two tiny teeth had bravely popped through... 

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Tags
Family Bed
User Tag List