Nightweaning and Shiftwork - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know what to do...my DD is 18 mths and I decided recently that I need to night wean her.  I'm tired.  I read the Dr. Jay method and have done about 5 nights.  The first was brutal but then next 4 were much better...she would accept cuddling back to sleep over BF'ing relatively fast.  BUT, I'm an emergency services worker and so yesterday I had to work an afternoon shift, which runs 1:30-11:30 p.m.  So she was away from me for 12 hours and then when she woke up she wanted to nurse and I tried to just cuddle her back to sleep and she was SO upset again.  I am concerned because basically I am asking her to not nurse for almost 24 hours periodically if I am not nursing at night!  I know she wants/needs to reconnect with me when we are apart so long.  When I work dayshift, at the end of the day she nurses on and off until bedtime to make up for it...but with night weaning she doesn't get to make up for it.  

I don't know what to do...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
At that age, I told my babies that there were no nursies at night because I was empty at night, but if they were thirsty they could have a drink of water (kept a water bottle ready next to the bed). I was surprised that for the first few nights, they DID want water, but then they gradually either didn't bother, or got it themselves.
#3 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah, I've been saying that to her when I'm home with her during the day...the difference is when I work afternoon shifts she is away from me...so to try and explain that I am going to work for 10 hours and she won't see me...then all night she can't nurse....seems a little complicated for an 18 mth old to follow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page