8 Mo old crys every time she wakes up (every 45-60 min) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Help Mama's

I have sweet DD #2. She is 8 months old (tomorrow) and is crawling (since 6 mo) standing, "walking" from couch to table and likely getting her 1st teeth. 

For about 2 months I've been making excuses about her mastering new skills,  but the quality of my families life is not so good right now. Sweetie Pie wakes up ever 45min to an hour at naps and ALLLLL night. She crys (heart wrenchingly), wakes up, sits up, gets on all 4s and starts crawling. We cosleep and I am vigilant because I am afraid she will crawl off the bed. She will only fall asleep nursing in bed/arms or nursing in the ergo. She will reluctantly (fussing) fall asleep in the ergo on my back. Maybe once a night I can jiggle her back and she'll go back to sleep, most of the time I have to nurse her back to sleep.

I have been trying the Pantley pull off for her whole life, but more thoughtfully the last 2 weeks. She'll come off and roll over and sleep, then wake up screaming next time her sleep lightens up. 

I always fill her up before a nap/bed, one friend suggested only feeding her every 3 hours so her stomach gets used to going longer between meals. It isn't working so well because I am nursing her when she wakes up at the 45 min mark from her nap. 

Her crib is side-car to my bed so I've tried letting her settle herself at bedtime, she just plays and then gets upset cuz she's tired and wants to nurse to sleep.

She won't take a binky and doesn't have a lovey yet.

Also I'm a SAHM with a 3 1/2 year old, so I can't dedicate endless time to putting her down for naps.

I feel like I set her up for not being able to sleep with out nursing, and now I don't know how to help her learn another way.

Helpful suggestions?

Thank you!!!

#2 of 10 Old 05-09-2012, 05:03 PM

My oldest daughter was similar, and she has Sensory Processing Disorder.  Does this check list sound like your baby?

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/SPD-symptom-checklist-for-infants-and-toddlers.html

You might consider getting an assessment through Early Intervention.  Kids with SPD can really benefit from occupational therapy.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#3 of 10 Old 05-11-2012, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder View Post

My oldest daughter was similar, and she has Sensory Processing Disorder.  

Thanks for your response. This sounds very difficult for the child and family. I looked at the checklist and I wouldn't say my daughter has these traits.

I think starting tonight, I am going to work on only feeding her every 3-4 hours in the night and helping her back to sleep in other ways during the other naps. I think there will be a fair amount of upset, but better in the long run.

#4 of 10 Old 05-11-2012, 06:19 AM

My babe sleeps longer and more soundly when I eat fresh garlic throughout the day and baking soda in water after eating.  I believe there is irritation from acids/microbial imbalance passing through the breastmilk causing distress like you've described.

Took me 4 years to figure out this simple remedy.

Hope it helps 

#5 of 10 Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

IMO, she's still to young to be expected to go to sleep without nursing.  Some babies can go to sleep on their own, but for the ones that can't, I think that pushing them to self-soothe is counter productive and can do more harm than good.  Babies need to feel safe and secure to fall asleep, and for a lot of them, the only place they feel safe and secure is while nursing.  

My 17mo DS was/is the same way.  Frequent night waking, fighting sleep, needing to nurse to sleep.  Is she maybe a high needs baby?

High Needs Traits

If so, then I highly recommend The Fussy Baby Book (Sears).  It completely changed how I view caring for my little guy.  

parsley likes this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#6 of 10 Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Nursing less can sometimes be counterproductive, because when you nurse more often they are getting a larger percentage of fattier hindmilk.  Nursing less often can mean filling up before getting to the part that keeps them filled up.  I would almost be inclined to nurse *more* often during the day to see if she can consume more daytime calories.  

Kids who seem to want to be latched on all the time (seems like!) at night *will* protest madly at each opportunity (say.... every 45 minutes!)  They let it be known that these changes are going to cost you dearly.  

(I am one of those people for whom nursing was enervating, especially at night, and nursing during sleep was *not an acceptable option* for me!  So, I dealt with it as best I could but honestly never found a solution except waiting it out.  Singing.  Singing and humming helped a lot.  I could unlatch her when she was in soothe-mode and continue to hum.  Very.  Hard.  In the middle of the night.  I did cuddle as best I could.  She was a pushy, stiff baby, and that wasn't easy either.)

Lastly, if this behavior is coupled with any off-color or consistency of their stool, especially if this behavior is somewhat recent, I would consider allergies.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#7 of 10 Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 AM

My older daughter was very similar.  She woke every 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours until she turned 2.  She also needed my nipple in her mouth to sleep or to be cuddled up in a moby on her dad.  It was very hard on us.  But, around 2 she started sleeping 3 hours chunks.  At four she still wakes up a few times a night.  She was a high needs baby and remains a high needs kid.  Reading Dr. Sears was comforting to find the label. 

The only solution we ever found was to take turns.  Does your DH have a way to soothe your babe?  If so, you can break the nights into shifts to help share the burden of a high needs babe.  If not, Dr. Sears has lots of suggestions to try out! 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#8 of 10 Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsley View Post
My older daughter was very similar.  She woke every 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours until she turned 2. 

The same with my son. I just went with his needs.

At eight months all he wanted was to be close to me, feel me next to him and to nurse. Around 13 months I was able to nurse him to sleep and get up for a brief period of time at nap time, the duration gradually increased. I just made sure to nurse him down at the end of each sleep cycle (60 minutes).

#9 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

the nursing you are describing at night isn't good for baby. She is probably only getting foremilk which is high in sugar which will cause stomch pain, thus preventing her from sleeping. (Does she have green poo? If so she is getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk.) I don't know hoe you feel about giving baby meds but if she is getting her first teeth, I would apply teething gel and give whatever dosage doctors recomend of baby ibuprophen.

#10 of 10 Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM

My son was also the same way...it changed when I found out I was allergic to garlic, and took it out of my diet.  He still wakes often some nights, but most he only wakes up twice, and will nurse and then unlatch and go to sleep next to me.  I think this was a combination of getting older, and not waking in pain.  (His wake up behavior differs when he is waking because he is in pain/uncomfortable vs just adjusting between sleep cycles).  HTH!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page