We don't have a bed time routine... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-11-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Should we? My DD is 11 weeks and sleeps with me, sometimes in her arm's reach co-sleeper, on a good night we do half and half. Me, DH, and DD are happy with this arrangement - pediatrician is in favour of it too. She usually sleeps 3-5 hours at night, which I thought was normal for an almost 3 month old. I'm a SAHM so if we have a night where she wakes a lot, I can nap with her during the day. She naps really well during the day. Her morning nap is a good 2-4 hours, same with her afternoon.

The only thing is that we don't have a bedtime routine. Often me, DH, DD, and step daughter will all pile into our bed and watch a TV show or movie (right now we're watching Game of Thrones!). DD is usually out cold by 11pm or 12pm, and naps on and off from 6pm-11pm. No one has a regular bedtime in our house. Do I need to start a bedtime routine? How would I do that if we all hang out in the same room she's sleeping in? Move our hang out room to the living room? DH really loves the evening cuddles with DD and having her fall asleep on him after dinner. The TV or us talking doesn't keep her up at all.

I got my regular baby center email today and it talked about bedtime routines, and that got me worried that I'm setting her up for bad sleeping habits!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#2 of 3 Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
We didn't have a routine as such at that age either. She would feed to sleep and we'd sit on the couch holding her and watch TV with headphones until we were ready for bed, then we'd take her in with us. We didn't start having a routine until we were putting her to bed and then getting up again. And even then it was a pretty loose one.

I'm a big fan of if it ain't broke... :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 3 Old 05-12-2012, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At that age we definitely didn't have any sort of routine.  Baby would just stay with us until bed time (for us) and then we'd all go to bed together.  I've found that our (very loose) routines have just evolved over the years depending on who was nursing, where the nursling would fall asleep, if someone had an unexpected nap (so they would stay up a little later), if there was a lot more physical activity one day and kids obviously needed to be in bed a little earlier, just whatever worked.  We all still sleep in the same room and have found that neither child *really* fights sleep with our arrangement.  I'm all for doing what works for our family and making things as easy and joyful as possible, and this has definitely been the case for us with the family bed.

winner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.gifcd.gif Homeschooling, happy, messy-housed mama to my 2 wild boys fencing.gif 10/05 and 9/08, and my sweet little girl babygirl.gif 2/13 and blessed to be married to the best guy for me since 12/96.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page