How to Co-sleep with an 8 month old & 2 year old?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! I am trying to figure out the best way to start having both of my sons sleep with me. Currently I sleep with our eight month old and my husband sleeps with our 2 year old (30 months). However, my husband has sleep apnea and makes horrible sounds and we have noticed that our 2 year old has been acting sleep deprived so I decided that we should move the 2 year old in my room and let my husband sleep alone until we can get a CPAP machine for him. I realize it would have been best to start them sleeping together when the baby was first born but how do I go about changing things now? I'm afraid they will wake each other up constantly through the night. Does anyone have any advice on how to make a smooth transition? TIA!

Tired Mommasleepytime.gif of Lukejog.gif (11/7/09) and Dillonbabyboy.gif(9/19/11)
Practicing:novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifslingboy.gif  h20homebirth.gifwhale.gif and married to my DH Danielblowkiss.gif (6/3/06) Always remembering our angel babybrokenheart.gif (8/07)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd say start with talking to your ds1 about it, telling him where you expect him to stay in the bed, ask him how he feels about it, etc. Make sure you've got enough room in there for the 3 of you and then figure out how you'll put them to sleep. In my situation, I used to nurse ds2 to sleep in the living room (he would just play around if I tried nursing him in the bed) and then transfer him to the bed. Then I'd take ds1 in and lay down with him until he fell asleep. As ds1 has gotten older I only have to lay in there with him for a few minutes and read quietly, then put on some quiet music and leave and he falls asleep by himself.
Now my youngest doesn't nurse any more so I lay down with him first and I listen to an audio book so I don't go insane waiting for him to stop squirming and pass out. smile.gif

We haven't had problems with the boys waking each other as long as an adult is between them. Sometimes when dh and I come to bed the boys are snuggled up together and they generally stay asleep for that, too.

winner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.gifcd.gif Homeschooling, happy, messy-housed mama to my 2 wild boys fencing.gif 10/05 and 9/08, and my sweet little girl babygirl.gif 2/13 and blessed to be married to the best guy for me since 12/96.

User Tag List