questions on sleeping in room with crib vs own room.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my 9 month old does not sleep well.....wakes up every 2-3 hours.

She has always slept in the room with us in a crib by our bed.

everyone is telling me that in order for her to sleep through the night she really needs to be in her own room.

have any of you had any experience with this being true?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 08:49 PM

I think it may have helped my dd's, but it felt unnatural to me to have them in another room. I did end up moving the crib from right next to my bed to as far away as I could but in the same room. It did help. Was a better compromise for me. But neither of my girls really slept well until they were bigger and I moved them on their own.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#3 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

My girls just ended up sleeping better as they grew, especially once their toddler molars finished cramming their way through their gums, at about 2.5yo.  Then another big leap after they didn't need to pee at night so much, around 4-5, depending on whether it was dd1 or dd2.

So, not the experience you were asking for, but in a different direction: they did start sleeping better, even though they were never moved out.  Maybe moving out might help her sleep better, I'm not trying to discourage you from trying that, but mainly I'm saying that that a lot has to age and the particular child.  

While sleep deprivation is a powerful motivator, 9mo can still be pretty young for sleeping solidly and soundly for large chunks of time.  

Anyway, maybe someone else will chime in that has more experience in the other direction.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#4 of 9 Old 05-24-2012, 12:28 PM

Sounds pretty normal. My friend told me one that babies aren't supposed to sleep through the night and the ones that do have lucky parents. Also that older people always remeber things in a glossy way. All of their babies slept through the night, potty trained early, and so on. YOur baby will get the hang of it. My BF still doesn't sleep through the night. Hes 34.... His mom says he never cried, not once. He potty trained in one day, slept through the night when he was born.

#5 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my babies were never put in another room to sleep (or crib) when they were young and they were all atrocious sleepers as infants - waking every 30 mins or 1 hour for months and months on end. now, they sleep through and did so once they hit about 2. one night they went to bed and just started sleeping through on their own. i think, like most things in life, things happen naturally if it's at the right time.

sorry.. i know this was meant to be about crib being in your room versus own room, but i thought i'd chime in anyway.

Me: DH:

Our babies: Our researcher Our comedian Our boundless energy Our streaker Our cuddly bear
#6 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 PM

The question is: are the babies sleeping better or are the parents just not seeing/hearing them wake up 'cause they are in a different room?

#7 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 PM

I am a strong believer in co-sleeping, but if you think she might do better on her own, you could always try it out and then move her back if it doesn't work out.  I have heard people claim that their kids sleep better in their own rooms and I always assume they had them cry it out or something, but that may be totally off.  If things aren't working out where she is, I'd give it a shot.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#8 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My 2yo has only slept in her own room a couple of times ( at her own request) and her sleep/wake pattern was exactly the same as when she was in bed with us.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 9 Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My 2yo has only slept in her own room a couple of times ( at her own request) and her sleep/wake pattern was exactly the same as when she was in bed with us.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page