Need some moral support - 18 months of waking every 2 hours.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-25-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi mamas, I just need some words of wisdom and encouragement.

My little guy is about to turn 18 months and continues to wake every 2 hours or so.  It's been this way since he was born and I've been patiently waiting for "it to get better" but...alas...improvement has not been forthcoming.

We have tried all sorts of things to improve the situation, such as the ideas from "No Cry Sleep Solution" but my little guy is basically resistant - he wakes every couple of hours and needs to be rocked or nursed or patted back to sleep.

My husband and I take turns co-sleeping with him.  I start the night out sleeping on my own while DH co-sleeps with him, then halfway during the night we swap.

Back when little guy was about 9 months, friends who had restless sleepers said things like "when our kid was 18 months it got much better".....and back then it seemed so looonnngg away.  So now that he is about to turn 18 months and nowhere close to sleeping better, it has made me feel very demoralized.

Of course everyone promises that "it does get better" but honestly it feels like this nightly torture will never end.  Gosh I'm not even asking for him to sleep all through the night, but even just to "only" wake once or twice.

Every couple of months I reach out to this message board for some much night words of encouragement....thanks mamas.......

40 y/o married Mama, 3 y/o DS, Angel Baby lost in Sep 2013, Angel Baby lost March 2014.
#2 of 3 Old 05-25-2012, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My oldest dd was like this, very much so, for a loooong time (or felt like a long time for sure, when we were going through it all - or when I was having to deal with it all).  The best I could hope for at the time was the odd night or two when she had a 3 or 4 hour stretch of sleep, and I woke up so much more rested.  I hope you have those, sometimes.  They'd seem to appear just when I'd think I couldn't take it any more, and get me through the next rough stretch.    

Also I'd turn to driving around and treating myself to a milkshake or something, and then trying to nap in the car during the day when she'd fallen asleep in the afternoon from the car ride (not really comfortable, but it was what I could do at the time).

Some kids sleep really sucks for awhile.  I think I tried the homeopathic kids calms forte and rescue remedy sleep, and they seemed to help my kid (or at least helped me stay calmer and less irritated about the sleep issues, because I had something to 'do' about it).

She's 5 now and sleeps like a normal person, and I think she did when she was 3 and 4 y/o too, but I can't exactly remember and there might have been moments in there I've tried to block out.

#3 of 3 Old 05-25-2012, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! I have felt your pain, believe me:) My son was still waking every two hours at 14 months (sleeping in his crib though, he never liked to sleep with us) and at that point I was at my wits end.  I rocked and/or nursed him to sleep and back to sleep every time or he would not fall asleep. I hired an online sleep consultant to help me figure out what to do and within my parenting philosophy. Here's what I ended up doing that improved his sleep to him only waking 2-3 times over a 12 hour period.

- 1st I stayed in the room with him until he fell asleep. He did cry (alot at first) but I was there to soothe him with my voice and to hold his hand...

- after about a week or so he started playing in his crib and throwing his soothers at me so she suggested leaving the room with the door open at that point, he learned to fall asleep without crying because he could hear us out in the kitchen

- soon he started being distracted by us and would talk to us and strain to see us out the door:) I started staying with him for a little bit and hten saying, "night, night" and closing the door. He fell asleep on his own and has since last summer!

Now, he kept waking 2-3 times a night until he was 23 months old, I went away for the weekend and he weaned (although I pumped while away in case he still wanted to nurse when I got back, but he never asked for milk). I was also 8 weeks pregnant and I don't think he was as interested in the milk anymore. He began waking only once a night and I would read him a book and then leave the room and he would fall asleep on his own. Now 99% of nights he sleeps 7-6:30, waking but falling back asleep on his own. Sometimes I hear him say "water" and he finds his sippy and goes back to sleep:)

I wish you the best of luck mama!

ETA: Not to say that you should wean to get sleep. I never wanted to wean him for that reason and I am so glad I nursed him as long as I did. I would have continued if he asked for it and miss it for sure!

Mama to Callahan 05/18/10 cold.gifteapot2.GIF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page