Nap vs. Bedtime - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is two years old, and we are having some bedtime issues. I’m not sure where I am going wrong, because naptime is relatively easy. I lay down wit her in bed, and we sing songs or I rock her until she falls asleep. I give her several warnings leading up to nap and bed so she knows what is going to happen next.

Nighttime is a disaster! It’s taking over an hour to get her to sleep. She asks to go potty several times, tries to get out of bed, and is just very restless. I have tried everything to help her unwind before bed. I like to be active, and we are outdoors a lot of the day. We have about an hour of quiet time before bed usually playing with blocks or puzzles. When we o to the bedroom, I’ve tried reading books, singing, ignoring her, rocking, etc. My husband will attempt to put her to bed occasionally, but he does not have the same amount of patience and it usually ends up wit him angry and her crying. Not much help.

Honestly, I just need some down time. Her naps last for about 45 minutes to an hour, no matter what I do. After taking over an hour to get to bed at night, I’m left with no down time. I’m physically and emotionally exhausted by the end of the day!!

My daughter usually gets up around 6:30, naps at noon, and bedtime around 8:30 (when she finally falls asleep).

She is a VERY active kid! Anyone else have issues like this? Any ideas on what else I can try? What works for you? I’m nine months pregnant right now, so this is even more exhausting!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 2yr old has a similar schedule, but goes down around 9-9:30. Some kids just need less sleep than others

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 06-09-2012, 08:33 PM

With my 2 year old (who still sometimes takes an hour to unwind) before we get dressed for bed (after bath/books/tooth brushing, but before potty break) I tell her to "get her crazies out" by jumping around on the bed. I tell her occasionally (when she seems to forget) that once the lights go out it is time to be quiet in bed and go to sleep. I'll usually give her two tries to go potty (but there is a training potty in the bedroom and she uses it with the lights out) and that is it. On nights she seems more restless I repeat a few times in a quiet voice that when the lights go out it is bedtime and time to be still and quiet so she can sleep. 

To get a little extra me time I read books on my kindle while sitting on the bed with her (or in the rocking chair near by).

Mama to  Hadley (2/10) energy.gif& Sawyer (1/13) babyboy.gif familybed1.gif

Old 06-09-2012, 08:35 PM

It may also be that she is overtired, sometimes I find that by moving lights out just 10-15 minutes earlier turns an hour of restlessness into 20 minutes of fairly easy getting her to sleep.

Mama to  Hadley (2/10) energy.gif& Sawyer (1/13) babyboy.gif familybed1.gif

Old 06-11-2012, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themothership View Post

It may also be that she is overtired, sometimes I find that by moving lights out just 10-15 minutes earlier turns an hour of restlessness into 20 minutes of fairly easy getting her to sleep.

This is the case for my 26 month old, too.

User Tag List