Local News: Bed Sharing is Dangerous - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ugh!  A local news channel just reported how unsafe co-sleeping is. angry.gif  A friend of mine was interviewed as a co-sleeping mom, but most of the fact based research she mentioned was cut out of her interview.  If you have a minute, post a comment on how co-sleeping can be safe.  FTR, the medical examiner who was interviewed mentioned a couch death as being lumped in as an example of why co-sleeping is dangerous.  Here's the link: http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_1218.shtml

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#2 of 4 Old 06-16-2012, 09:14 PM

my county just had the 7th baby die from unsafe sleeping conditions. most of the comments are people saying parents who sleep with their babies should be put in prison :( a dad fell asleep in a "desk chair" with his 8 month old a few days ago, the baby slipped down and suffocated and they are using that also as why we shouldn't bed-share. really? that's a bit different but we are just all child-abusers and should be imprisoned. in every case i remember, bed-sharing rules weren't being followed. one parent even had the newborn sleeping on a pillow between the parents!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#3 of 4 Old 06-18-2012, 01:01 PM

Don't have the actual source of research - but I remember reading a few different things about co-sleeping while I was in the process of deciding to or not. We did decide to co-sleep and for our family it ended up being a wonderful decision. First of all there are some basic guidlines for safe sleep (common sense)

1. Keep pillows and blankets away from baby

2. Use a firm matress

3. Put baby on back

4. Sleep on your side facing your baby

5. Make sure there are no gaps (such as between mattress and headboard) that baby could get stuck in

6. Do not use alcohol, tobaco, drugs or medications and avoid co-sleeping if overly tired

One very interesting thing I remember reading but unfortunately can't remember the source is that co-sleeping if done using guidlines above is actually much more safe than leaving a baby alone in a crib - when you sleep right next to your baby you are biologically in tune with each other and much more likely to wake up if the baby is in distress. The unfortunate thing about anti-cosleeping propaganda is that every co-sleeping death is lumped together regardless of weather safe practices were being used. I also read that in the majority of deaths that occur in co-sleeping situations that alcohol, tobaco or drugs were a factor. The other really sad thing is that if a baby does die in a co-sleeping situation it is always blamed on the parents, when the death may have been unrelated to co-sleeping. What if the same baby had died in a crib? Then whose fault would it be? As unfortunate and sad as it is, babies die sometimes for reasons that aren't understood and as if that isn't bad enough the parents are blamed on top of it. And - humans have co-slept through out much of human history - for much of our existence until recent times leaving a baby to sleep alone meant certain death - co-sleeping was absolutely essential to survival.

#4 of 4 Old 06-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I wish that they would focus on the safe ways to cosleep, and on the things you shouldn't do in your crib also. There are so many facets to both....greensad.gif

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page