Wearing baby in wrap in recliner - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am thinking ahead for the next baby and well I'm wondering if anyone has worn their baby (newborn) in a wrap while sleeping at night...  I know a lot of babies like to sleep on the chest--my concern is the baby falling off in the middle of the night. I thought about sleep in a big recliner while the baby is in a wrap so that I won't roll over. Does anyone have experience with this?  Thanks!

broc1.gifcarrot.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I don't think I would wear a wrap to bed with baby in it. That seems like too much fabric and not safe at all.

I did sleep with DD on my chest, and never rolled over, but I also didn't do it all night. Usually only when she fussed and needed something other than nursing. Then when I needed to move/roll over I would place her on the bed/in the cosleeper. She didn't roll off or slide off. Once she was able to roll over she didn't much like sleeping on my chest anymore.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I really don't think that would be safe..... and you should never sleep with your baby on a recliner or couch. Wearing a baby safely does involve active parenting, i.e. checking baby's position, being aware of breathing, it would be too easy for the baby to get smooshed in a way inside the wrap that could cut off her air supply. 

Here are some guidelines for safe cosleeping:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/sleep-safety/safe-co-sleeping-habits

#4 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Agreed that this does not sound safe. If baby needs to sleep on your chest, perhaps sleep in the middle of the bed? I would usually put firm pillows under my elbows to keep my arms propped up, so I would remain holding DS if I fell asleep. Then he was more secure, and I'd have a hand on him if he started to shift.

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#5 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses... I found a similar question posted in an old thread.  http://www.mothering.com/community/t/818421/maya-wrap-and-sleeping-with-baby   Thought I'd share!  :)

broc1.gifcarrot.gif

#6 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 01:28 PM

I agree, wearing a baby in a wrap is completely unsafe. Babies sleeping in your bed should be free of materials around their face or anything they could get wrapped up in. I see that that thread is over 5 years old, and while I know that safe sleeping suggestions haven't changed during that time, I still don't think it's safe.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

User Tag List