Need help on either transitioning my 10 month old to crib or convincing my husband to stop pressuring me.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 10 month old and I cosleep together in our guest bedroom (my husband snores LOUDLY and isn't into cosleeping).  I don't really mind it, except I have a hard time unlatching and sometimes it takes up to an hour to do so.  I've read the No Cry Sleep Solution SOOO many times, and tried each trick..no luck.  My LO will have nothing to do with that "lightly hold their mouth closed" situation.  She whips her head back and forth and wakes up every time I try.  

My hubs is really on me about transitioning her to the crib.  Does anyone have advice on how to deal with a split household when it comes to cosleeping and crying it out?  I am 100% against CIO but I can feel that my husband is moments away from forcing me to do it.  I would like to transition her to the crib relatively soon, if only to allow me to sleep a little better.  My LO is an extremely light sleeper and wakes up every time I make a tiny move.  I basically have to lay in bed, stiff as a board.  My hips/shoulders are so mad at me!  Also, we have a great bedtime routine; bath, books, etc, and she seems to do well with that.  But she wakes up at 6am like clockwork (she also nurses 2-3 times each night)..any suggestions on how to get her to sleep longer too?  I put her down at 7:30pm.

Also pt 2 - does anyone know anything about this technique?  http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html  It seems almost like a CIO except they're in bed with you....I'm confused and not sure if it would work.  

Thanks! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 AM

what if you have your dh transition your son to the crib? i mean, it's what he wants, so he can take over bedtime!

transylvania_mom likes this.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#3 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

If you put your daughter to bed at 7:30 pm, I doubt she'll sleep longer past 6 am. That's nearly 11 hours, and I imagine she won't sleep longer because she just isn't tired after 11 hours of sleep.

My son, for instance (7 months) sleeps from 10 pm - 8 am. He still wakes up about 2-3 times to nurse, too. But I've somehow managed to be able to unlatch him. I guess that's sort of your next step. Is is possible to unlatch her and then pat her back to sleep once she wakes up?

#4 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 AM

I would gently suggest not letting yourself be forced into doing something as a parent that doesn't make you feel comfortable.  Why is your husband insistent about it?  Regardless, there are luckily lots of ways to work around your dilemma that don't involve CIO!

If your baby had more room, do you think she'd still wake up at every little move you make?  Sometimes it's just about being in close quarters.  Otherwise, if you feel committed to transitioning to the crib, be ready for baby monitors and lots of getting up at night to nurse and comfort and such.  I found that for us, even with our light sleeper, it was still easier to share a bed.  But your mileage may vary, and that may not work for you.  

Hopefully other parents will chime in on gentle ways to make the transition.  

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#5 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 PM

I tried the technique in the article,and it worked for my 3 boys. With my first 2,I was a single mom,and worked a 10-5,and I desperately needed the sleep! My boys did not want to eat much during the daytime,and would make up for it during the night! After a year each of night feedings,  I couldn't take it anymore,and tried this technique. After a solid week,they were sleeping through the night,and eating more during the day. For my third son, I wasn't working as much,and wanted to prolong the night feedings, so I didn't wean until he was 22 months. I used the same weaning technique,as it had worked in the past,and I needed something that worked,because I had to undergo surgery at the time. For my fourth,i'm still undecided as to how long before I wean him!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page