Family Bed or DH sleeps with DS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

i'm in a bit of a quandary here.  DS is 20 months old and pretty much relies on me 99% of the time to put him to sleep at night via nursing.  During the day my parents watch him and he naps just fine without nursing and we are in the process of night weaning which is going really well so far (fingers crossed).  Oh, and we've sleep shared since ds was born.  Its been great familybed1.gif.

We are expecting our second in late December when DS will be 2.  When I think back to my first 1.5 yrs with ds and sleep sharing.. well, we've had our rocky moments.  Not sleeping, constant nursing, etc.  I've finally got him sleeping well and I really don't want the new baby to wake him (or him wake the new baby) andddd I really don't to nurse both kiddies at night (I don't thin kit will be fair to DS to see his new sibling nursing while I tell him that bobo is ni-night). 

We are renovating our main level and it will be done in a few weeks.  So we will be moving upstairs from the basement where we have lived so far.  We will be moving into new bedrooms and there will be change to get used to.  Considering this,  figured that this would be a good time for DH to take over night time with DS.  Our rooms are small and we have a king bed, to fit another bed int eh room would meant hat it has to be right up against ours (which kindof defeats the purpose).... So should we take this time to introduce DS to his new room where DH will sleep with him? He is super cuddly and I don't want to traumatize him - DH and him to cuddle in bed but when he wants comfort he always looks to me (pretty much because of bf which I know makes DH feel left out).   

Any one have experience with this? redface.gif

#2 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is what we do, at the end of my pg, we transition the youngest to sleeping with just DH. It works very well for us.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 5 Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Peony,  what was your transition like?  Did you take a few days (or weeks) to slowly have DH take over the bedtime and thru-the-night routine? 

#4 of 5 Old 07-11-2012, 11:56 AM

I just wanted to offer up that my DS was 2y4m when his little brother was born and we all continued to sleep together in the big (king) family bed.  Everyone adjusted and it was fine.  Very few wake-ups! The biggest change was that DH became DS1's snuggle/sleep buddy and relocated to the other side of the bed to put some space and bodies between him and the newborn.  

It has worked out great for us!  I wonder if something like that could work for you, too. 

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#5 of 5 Old 07-16-2012, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Separate cosleeping arrangements is what we went to when ds2 was born. Ds1 was already fully weaned but he was/is a restless sleeper and usually preferred to be next to me, at times sleeping on top of my body pillow. He was 2y4m when ds2 was born. Hubby took him into another room to sleep with him. Over time, they have transitioned to separate sleeping surfaces in the same room. I am still bedsharing with ds2.

I do miss having my hubby nearby when I sleep - both due to cuddling and due to lack of (occasional) help. He doesn't miss having a little one next to him.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page