Moving 5 year old and 2 year old together? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Right now my 5 year old and 2 year old are in my bed - DH is on the couch. It's not ideal but we make it work. But I feel ready for a change. My 5 year old goes to sleep on his own but I have to get my 2 year old to sleep in the living room and then carry her to bed later. I guess that's the part I'm ready to be done with and I worry it will become a hard habit to break the longer it goes on. I've been thinking of getting a trundle bed for the kids. The 5 year old would be on top with rail and 2 year old on bottom. I wonder, would they both fall asleep on their own if they were left alone together? Does this sound safe or is the 2 year old too young? She just turned 2 in May but is big for her age and very strong. I just wonder if they both end up on one mattress together would that be safe? My 5 year old is small for his age but is sometimes a crazy sleeper and has kicked me in the eye more than once - on accident in his sleep while turning into a horizontal position. BTW we would all still be sharing a bedroom just separate beds. Just wanted to hear from others who have been through the transition. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 PM

I think it would be worth a try. You could even just put a mattress on the floor to try it out and if it doesn't work save the money you would have spent on a trundle. 

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 07-21-2012, 04:50 PM

We put my 3.5 y/o and 20 m/o in the same room.  They have two twin mattress pushed together on the floor.  I put them in bed together and if they don't go sleep within 30 minutes (which they have never done) I go get the youngest.  She'll either fall asleep on the couch or in my bed and then I move her to her own room.  She'll stay in there anywhere from 2-6 hours before crawling in with me.  I need a better solution, but this  is all I have the energy for right now.  If I forget to bring her in her own room my oldest comes wandering in around 2am asking where DD2 is.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 07-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

My 5 and 2-year-olds share a room and sometimes sleep in the same bed together with no problem.  I still lay in the 2-year-olds bed to nurse him to sleep while my 5-year-old goes to sleep on her own in her bed, but sometimes she will come over to cuddle in bed with us and falls asleep there too.  It is really sweet to see them cuddled up together and I feel like it is perfectly safe :)

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .

User Tag List