Mothering Forum banner

Does a 18mo need a nap if he is getting 13.5hrs of sleep at night

787 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BeeandOwlsMum 
#1 ·
Bedtime is a major production around here, lately taking 2-2.5hrs I nanny (he is with me) so I can't always just do nap time whenever and however long he wants (he likes to nurse the first 45min). Lately he has had a hard time getting down for a nap and it has ended up so late (3:30-5:15) he won't go to sleep until 10-11pm, despite heading into the dark bedroom at 7:30pm. He is good at sleeping in though, so if cutting out the nap has him going to sleep by 7:30p and he sleeps until 8:30-9:30a is there any reason that wouldn't be meeting his needs? He has not been averaging more than 13hrs a night anyways, but I feel like this change may make his sleep more consistent and will leave me much less frustrated. I am just wondering if there is something about sleeping in the middle of the day that is necessary.

#2 ·
My daughter dropped her nap around 18 months. I think it is different for different children, but some don't need a nap at that point. Bedtime got to be a major production at my house when she was ready to drop her nap, and I found that if I didn't encourage it, she didn't take it, and then went to bed easily at a reasonable time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.