Cosleeping baby and mama not sleeping well - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When my DS was born we chose not to swaddle him.  EVERYONE around us thought we were crazy.  We read the new research that led us to believe that it was best for him to be free.  He never really slept long stretches and we figured it was due to the lack of swaddling.  Totally fine...he is a baby and we expected it.  Then he had what the doctor diagnosed as reflux issues and needed to be sleeping on an incline.  That required us to take him out of his bassinet and snuggle nest and put him in his crib sleeping on an angle.  He was up every 30-60 minutes and sliding all over his crib.  Finally I decided to bring him into bed with us...YEAH!  He loved it and I loved it.  He was sleeping a 4-5 hour stretch and then nursing every 2-3 hours.  PERFECT!  But slowly he has fallen back into waking every 60 minutes and is only satisfied and will return to sleep if he nurses.  I also can't seem to get him to nap well consistently during the day.  He is now almost 4 months and I am worried that he won't learn how to get through his sleep cycles and fall back asleep if I continue to nurse him all night long.  Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

#2 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 PM

My lo is four months today and l have seen a change in his sleep patterns these last few weeks. He was sleeping from 8pm till 6am and now is waking up numerous times a night. I am putting it down to sleep regression and teething. Could that apply to your little one? We get good naps in the ergo otherwise it is half hour naps anywhere else. You are not alone!!

#3 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

It could be teething for sure.  I read about regression at this age.  His naps during the day are totally inconsistent and I think maybe after reading some things from other moms I need to try to get him some consistent sleep times.  I don't know.  I am feeling like I am teaching him that nursing = sleep and I want to help him get through his sleep cycle transition without nursing but it is tough at night.  Thanks for letting me know I am not alone!  Maybe it will get better in a couple of weeks.

#4 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 PM

My lo is down for a nap one hour from waking in the morning. Then after each nap ends, he is back in the ergo an hour and a half later. I also follow the eat play sleep routine during the day and that seems to work nicely. During the night he can usually stretch to 3am before a feed, Lately it has been every hour or two after that feed.

#5 of 6 Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 PM

My son had a sleep regression right around 4 months too.  It lasted about 3-4 weeks and then got MUCH better.  I have low milk supply so it did help to go back to giving him bottles at night...not suggesting that you do that but maybe consider that he needs to nurse a lot right now.  It helped me to just know that 4 months was a common time for a sleep regression.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#6 of 6 Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

You are right.  He needs what he needs right now.  I should stop reading too much on the internet and just relax and be his mommy. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page