Crawling baby and naps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is 7 months old has just started crawling everywhere.  I cosleep with her at night so I don't have any worries about night time sleeping, however I was having to lay down and nurse her to sleep in the middle of my bed for her naps.  Now that she is crawling I don't know what to do for her naps.  I'm afraid she will crawl off the bed.  I can't nurse her to sleep and then lay her down in a crib or anything because she wakes up when I try to move her, that's why I was laying with her to get her to sleep before.  I also can't lay with her the whole time she naps because I have a 2 year old that would be into everything if I did that.  I've tried folding a blanket up on the floor and laying her on that and trying to nurse her to sleep on that, but that only works for a few minutes.  I think she can feel the floor move from my 2 year old bouncing around (which seems non-stop).  I have no idea what to do now.  Do any of you have any ideas of a safe place I could lay down with her to nurse her to sleep or a way for me to transition her to a crib maybe after she is asleep?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 PM

I made a little nest on the floor with a mat for naps when DD started trying to crawl off the bed. Sometimes I lay down next to her but mostly I nurse her to sleep and lay her down on her stomach, or wedge something against her so she'll stay asleep. I don't have a 2 year old jumping around though...

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#3 of 4 Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 AM

I did something similar to pp using bottom sofa cushions. I don't have another child to wake her up but maybe you could put a crib mattress on the floor in your room if you have one or make a nest using a comforter. A friend of mine had success buying a clean, new doggy bed to put on the floor, cover with a blanket and her LO uses it for naps. I would then sneak away and close the door so the 2 year old cant wake her and use a baby monitor to keep an ear out for baby. Since you cosleep, you may not have a monitor but perhaps you could find one used or borrow from a friend. There are even apps out for the more high end cellphones that let you use them as monitors. Good luck!
#4 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 05:17 AM

A new doggy bed is a good idea! I never would have thought of that!

If a nest on the floor doesn't work is it possible to put your mattress on the floor? That is what worked for us when DS started crawling... He fell off a few times but he never got hurt and cried or anything... You can use fluffy blankets to cushion the floor for her just in case.

Wife to DH superhero.gif, Tandem Nursing SAHMfly-by-nursing2.gif to  diaper.gifDS1 9/2011 and babyboy.gif DS2 9/2012

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page