Questions about bedtime and bed-sharing with 10-week old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi - I have been bed-sharing with my 10-week old since the second week.  We usually go to bed around 9/9:30pm which is when I usually went to bed before I had him.  Now I am starting to think that he needs to go to bed earlier, as he is showing signs of drowsiness earlier (yawning, rubbing eyes, fussiness) - usually around 7/7:30pm.  The problem is that I'm not ready to go to bed that early, so I am trying to figure out how to get him down for the first 2 hours without me.  So far I have not had much luck.  I have tried rocking/nursing to sleep and putting him in a bassinet next to the bed, but he just wakes up and cries.  We also tried putting him down for a nap in his swing but he only naps that late between 20-40 minutes and then wakes up wired until 10:30pm or so.  I also tried nursing him to sleep in the bed and sneaking away, but he always wakes up when I try to sneak out, even if he's been sleeping for 30 minutes. 

Any thoughts on how to do this?  Do I just need to give in and start going to bed earlier for now?  I know 10 weeks is still very young, so maybe I am trying to change things too soon for him?

#2 of 3 Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 PM

my son is 6 weeks and what i do is wear him for an hour or two before bed. nothing else puts him into such a deep, long sleep. i am able to take him out of the wrap and lay him down without rousing him (as long as i lay right down beside him) and then he keeps on sleeping till his middle of the night feeding.

Karla (24), loving having and growing a family: my amazing man, DS (1.5), DSD (6), a dog and two cats. Expecting my second 1sttri.gif November 2nd!
#3 of 3 Old 08-07-2012, 05:01 AM

Maybe if you had a sling to wear him around until you're ready for bed? Wearing my LO while loading the dishwasher always put him to sleep when he was fussy and he would sleep in the sling for hours no matter what I was doing... eating, reading, cleaning and laundry. Maybe that would help until you are ready for bed, if Wanderinblues' suggestion of laying him down after wearing him doesn't work?

Sorry baby doesn't seem to like sleeping by himself... My son went through a period where he would only nap while I held him, but he grew out of it. Babies sleep habits can change so much especially when they are little... I hope you find what works for you!

Wife to DH superhero.gif, Tandem Nursing SAHMfly-by-nursing2.gif to  diaper.gifDS1 9/2011 and babyboy.gif DS2 9/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page