Advice needed - family bed no longer working?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-19-2012, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 22 months and has been in bed with us since birth. We LOVE it, and it has worked wonderful for our family...until we added our new baby to the equation. She is now 3 months old and is also in bed with us.

Here are the 2 issues...

1. He loves to be held to sleep (which we adore), but bedtime for him is the same time as the baby's bedtime which makes it impossible for mom to put both kids to sleep at the same time and in addition he has become obsessed with his dad, so he has a hard time going to sleep for me, and when he wakes up at night he wants dad too...which would be ok if dad could be there every single night...but dad works late 1 night a week and is out of town a few times out of the year. This makes naps really fun...

2. He wakes up in the middle of his naps and has to be held back to sleep (really difficult when I'm nursing the baby back to sleep), or sometimes when he wakes up in the middle a nap or in the middle of the night he cries and is hard to console at times. Which wakes the baby up sometimes.

So, his dependence on dad is an issue, and waking/crying when he wakes up, thus waking the baby up is the second issue.

We are contemplating easing him into his own room, but wonder if he is too young and feel bad as he has come to only knowing our room as his room. We would like to wait until he is ready and wants to be in his own room, yet that doesn't solve our problem. And quite honestly I love having the family bed, I don't really want to change our situation, but it may not be working for us anymore?

Any (nice) suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Have you checked out our resources here? http://www.mothering.com/community/a/family-bed-and-nighttime-parenting-resources

Anyone have any suggestions to offer?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page