confused about sleep - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-28-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 5 month old has been waking up earlier and earlier.  She used to sleep from 7:30 to 7:30 with 3-4 wake ups (nursings) of course.  Then she started getting up at 6:30 and today it was 5:45.  On top of that she still takes 4 naps sometimes even 5 now that she wakes so early.  Shouldn't she be cutting out naps by now?  It seems like she is making up her lost sleep at night with naps.  Most of her naps are 45 minutes long but she will usually do one nap that's about 2 hours.  I never know which nap is going to be the long one.  Yesterday it was the 4th nap, day before the 3rd and day  before that 1st. She seems to need all naps as she gets cranky around 90 minutes from waking.  I am considering putting her to bed at 6 or 6:30 instead of 7:30 not sure she will go for it.  But I want to see if that makes her do 11 or 12 hours at night and cut out a nap.  Any suggestions?  

Also i actually liked her 7:30 bedtime because I could go to bed with her and get a nice 5 hour stretch before she woke up at 12.  Because after that she is up every hour or two.  I am not sure if I can fall asleep myself at 6 or 6:30. 

#2 of 3 Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM

For better or for worse, baby sleep patterns change a lot, especially around that time, I think.  Mine was still napping unpredictably at that age for sure.  

On the other hand, could it have been the summer sun waking her?  Do you have room-darkening curtains up?  White noise? 

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#3 of 3 Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

The room is dark and noise maker is on but to think of it she did start waking early when we were at a lake house for a week and the room was really bright in the morning. I guess she has just continued but it seems that it's earlier and earlier every week and we are back at our house where her room is super dark.  Also as she started waking earlier she also started taking one longer nap.   She used to sleep for 12h at night and take 4 naps each 45 min.  now she sleeps about 10 hrs a night and still takes 4 naps but one of them is 2 hr.  sometimes when I walk with her in the evening she will snooze for 10 minutes for her 5th nap.  I wake her because don't want her to go to bed too late.  The question is shouldn't she be cutting out a nap instead of shortening her sleep at night?  I will try putting her to bed at 6:30 today will see if it takes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page