Weaning three-year-old from bed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-31-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What recommendations for weaning a three year old into her own bed do you mamas and papas who've done this before have? I'm sleeepy, as she tosses and turns quite a lot throughout the night... I've begun talking to her about our separating into two beds. She listens, without fussing, then just says, "Well, we should just still share a bed, that's what we should do." 

It is vital for a number of reasons that we separate beds. Any ideas? :-) 

#2 of 4 Old 09-01-2012, 05:35 PM

No ideas, but I thought her quote was cute. :-)  Good luck.

#3 of 4 Old 09-01-2012, 05:49 PM

By age 2, we were laying with the kiddo in their room on a twin bed until they fell asleep, and then they were welcome to come in with us whenever they woke (unless it was like 10pm then we'd walk them back to their room and stay with them for a few min until they were back asleep) - and we specifically walked them through what they should do when they woke up.  As they got older, that got later and later into the wee hours (we did have to tell them to just crawl in and not purposely wake us.  lol!).  When they were around 5, we started telling them they should stay in their room all night (unless scared or sick)...which is not to say they *did*, but we planted that seed.  lol.    They are 6 and 8, and we usually wind up with one of them in the bed a couple times a month at this point, which is still OK with us. 

I think them knowing they were still welcome made the transition easier...it was a long transition, but was important to us to not make it a source of drama so we went at their pace with gentle nudges.  

Then again, they didn't beat us up much while sleeping so it didn't really impact us much...if they were making it uncomfortable for us, we would have walked them back more and started requesting them to stay in their room sooner.  

Good luck!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#4 of 4 Old 09-01-2012, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the ideas and shared experiences. I appreciate it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page