Constant Night Nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-04-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi friends! I'm new here. I've always heard this was a great resource for natural parenting. Happy to be here!

My 13 month old daughter has been having a weird sleep thing lately. We co-sleep and breastfeed on demand, through the night as needed. Typically she's wanting to "check in" with me every 2 or 3 hours at night. I'm fine with that.

For the last 4 weeks she has been waking much more often (every 20 - 45 min or so), nursing, or just latching on for a minute and going back to sleep.

The last 2 nights she's basically nursing constantly through the night. If I pry her off of my nipple she starts crying and then tries crawling around like a drunken circus clown. I'm SO TIRED. Holy cow.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Pep talks? Pats on the back? (Seriously, just hearing some affirming words would help! I can work with the exhaustion if I feel like I'm a good mom, know what I mean? nut.gif)

I'm thinking it could be teeth. She only has 6 teeth, and I'm pretty sure there are 2 bottom teeth working their way up. Anything I can do for her? Her discomfort is specifically at night.

Thanks!

Deanna

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 PM

Teeth was my idea too... Any drooling or gnawing during the day will point to that. My DD loves cold water at night; it satisfies thirst and sooths sore gums a bit too. I keep a sippy in arm's reach and overnight she usually puts away about 6 to 8 oz on top of nursing. Since your DD is over a year old, I wouldn't worry much about displacing breastmilk by trying a little water at night. On the really bad teething nights we use Tylenol.

13 months was a REALLY tough age for us. More intense than any other time. She was learning to walk and it was a tough milestone for sleep setback, clinginess during the day and the first taste of the toddler mindset. She's 17 months now and things have reached a new equilibrium. She's at a new stage (full on toddler) but much more predictable and way less frustrating. Even if you can't pinpoint a specific cause, know that she is at a very difficult age and it will pass like all the others. Try your best to rest when she's napping and see if you can get a little extra support. I hope it passes for you soon.
#3 of 4 Old 09-05-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your response. Everything you say makes total sense. I really appreciate the feedback.

I'm interested in what you mean by the 'toddler mindset'. I think I know what you mean... Adeline is changing and developing into a new little person. - As a little background though, I got the baby bug despite never having been around any babies or kids. So, ALL of this is totally new for me.

#4 of 4 Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 AM

By toddler mindset I mean discovering that she is an independent person with her own wants, wishes, and will. The 11-12 month old baby who was happy to go along with mom's wishes for the most part seems to turn into a willful little 13 month old person overnight who will melt down over the smallest little things. Tantrums started for us at that age and were more common than they are now. FWIW, I found that the more I gave her latitude when it wasn't important (let her play with my shoe for example), the more she is willing to cooperate when it's important (holds my hand while we cross the street). For tantrums I also find it helpful to be sympathetic but firm "I know you are frustrated but you can't play with batteries. That is very dangerous."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page