Questions. Help. :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some maybe silly questions about how you cosleep.
We cosleep, but some things are baffling me a bit.

So.
1. Do you nurse on both sides at night? My baby is still so little (12 weeks) so she nurses quite a few times at night still. I feel nervous about nursing on the "outside" side of the bed. Because I do fall back asleep when I nurse. Do you stay awake and then roll back over? Or do you not nurse on that side...? or what?
Which leads to this question:
2. I feel like it would just be safer if the bed was pushed up against a wall or I had a bed railing. But I read that safe cosleeping says not to do this because of entrapment. So... is it better for baby to roll off the bed?? uh?

3. Personal curiosity. Where does your baby sleep for naps? Do you nap with baby? I can't always do that. I watch another infant in my home. Do you wear baby? Does baby go in a crib (and sleep happily there??)?

Please help me. smile.gif

Edit: and! Does baby get up immediately with you in the morning? Or stay in bed until she wakes up?
#2 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 02:54 PM

I had a lot of these same questions when we started cosleeping.  Right now my 5 month old sleeps in between me and a bed rail.  We purchased the Safety First Secure Top Bed rail.  It feels safe and does not make me worry about entrapment due to the design.  It is much safer that having our DS between his dad and I.  When we nurse (currently almost every hour or two) I do side lying in bed and keep him on the same side but I rotate over so he can alternate breasts at each feeding.  He and I both fall asleep nursing so it was imperative that we not have to move after nursing.  My little guy would not nap for a long time but now he naps in his crib after much trial and error.  For a while I had to lay with him in bed for him to nap or hold him while he sleeps.  I spent a lot of time playing with him in his crib and he just recently started liking his crib and sleeps in there during the day.  If I wake up early or put baby down before me in our bed I put a video monitor on him so I can make sure he is safe.  He rolls over now so I need to make sure he doesn't roll onto his tummy while he is in our bed.  Ultimately, I love him next to me at night, but it is challenging because he is now nursing all night long so I am hoping to help him transition into his crib soon.  Hope that helps.

#3 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry, what do you mean you keep him on the same side but rotate? Like you lean over? I promise I'm not trying to sound ridiculous. Haha.
Thanks for your help. smile.gif
#4 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 PM

It is not a rediculous question. It took some practice, but yes, I lean over. Just rotate your hip over and lean down. Grab a pillow to put between your knees and you will be much happier. It took a little practice and got a lot easier as he got older. One night I fell asleep without "closing up shop" and my DS just helped himself when he woke up later. I woke up to him nursing!
#5 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 AM

Hi,

Here's what I do...

My husband snores and sleeps very heavily so between those two things, unfortunately I don't have him in the bed. He is usually on the couch or on a twin mattress across the room.

I guess it would be safer for the baby to fall off the bed than to get trapped, because falling usually isn't fatal... they usually just get a bump and cry. But you surely don't want that happening anyway! I have a king size bed and there's so much room that I put her on one side and I take the other. When she wakes up to eat, I always feed her on the side that my boob is on ...like if it's the left boob I'll be on my left side and she'll be on her right side facing me. I wait until she's done, put a little something (like a shirt) in front of her hips so she can't roll onto her stomach, and then I kind of back up so I'm not very close to her, and I go to sleep again. When she wakes up again, I reposition us on the bed so that we are in the right place to feed on the right boob - so usually I will pick her up and rotate her 180 so we are in the same spots, but our heads are now facing the opposite direction... am I explaining that in a way that's easy to understand? It's hard to explain! Anyways then I'm on my right and she's on her left facing me, and I feed her and then back up and go back to sleep when she's done.

I don't fall asleep easily and almost all of the time I wait for her to finish. In case I get dozy or sleep while she does, I just make sure to arrange myself so that if I let go of my boob or relax everything, then we will both be staying in the same place and she has plenty of room to breathe.

About a rail/wall, I usually put her between me and the wall - however there's like 2 ft between the wall and her and like 2 more ft between her and me.

For naps, my baby doesn't nap. Hehe well I guess I'm exaggerating... she just takes catnaps under only perfect conditions... usually I have to hold her the whole time, and sometimes on rare occasion I can put her down in my bed and she'll stay asleep. As for the morning, for the first few months I got up before her and she kept sleeping. But now she wakes me up before I'm ready and then we all get up :)

With my first, second and third babies, I was so nervous about breathing that I actually only would sleep if she was sleeping in the crook of my arm, facing up, so basically I held her all night! hehe

Hope this helps to answer your questions :) :)

#6 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would always keep the baby on my right side, but just lean over when I wanted her to nurse on my left side. It takes practice but it's easier than moving the baby around in the long run.
#7 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. :)

Especially thanks for the "leaning over" tip! It's revolutionized my nights. haha! :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page