Co-sleeping and shift work and a tiny apartment. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am not a parent yet, but my husband and I are hoping to start our family within the next year.  I definitely plan to co-sleep (a 600 square foot 1 bedroom apartment doesn't offer a whole lot of options, even if I wanted them), but a thing which has me stumped is how that fits with my husband's work schedule.  He works from 2pm-11pm and we sleep from 5am-1pm.  We have a heavy blanket serving as a curtain in the bedroom which is pretty effective at blocking out all the light.  It is pretty important to us to sleep at the same times. 

My questions are, will a baby do the bulk of their sleep during daytime hours?  If so, will their circadian rhythms be messed up for life?  Has anyone done this?  Is there any research on it?

Also any small-living-space advice would be helpful! Thanks.

#2 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

My DD slept more during the daytime when she was a newborn (not our plan, just the way it worked out) and now sleeps well at night. smile.gif

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 AM

I work 2-11 also and my daughter slept late into the day also.  When it was time for her to start school it was very easy to get her switched over to going to bed early and waking up early. 

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

#4 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I don't have much experience with this...I used to work from 2-6 or 7 a.m. and dd would generally sleep for a little while with me after I got home, but certainly not all day.  I would imagine you can slide the baby's sleep times more in line with yours and your husbands, but I wouldn't count on having him/her sleep from 5 am to 1 pm everyday.  You may have to consider going to bed with the baby a little earlier than your husband and getting up a little ealier too.   If/when you want to take the babe to storytime or playgroups or whatever, you may also find that a lot of these happen in the morning as well.  Good luck!

Edited to suggest: You have probably already thought of this, but could you change your sleep schedule so that you and your dp go to sleep around midnight  or 1 after he gets home and then get up around 8 or 9 a.m.? I could defintely see a baby adjusting to that schedule very easily adn it still keeps you guys on the same sleep schedule.   It souds like you prefer to hang out after he gets done with work, but maybe you can make the shift to family time being before work? Just an idea!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#5 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the answers.  I am glad to hear that a schedule like this is a do-able thing.

As to changing our sleep patterns, I am afraid my husband is dead-set against it.  He has had severe, severe sleep problems all his life - as in, couldn't finish high school normally or hold a conventional job because his circadian rhythms are just dramatically off.  And he cherishes the free time after work and hates the extra time before work.  It is a frustration for me, because a lot of the things I would like to do happen in the morning and so I just don't get to do them.  However, it is quite possible that he might get on a somewhat earlier shift, something like 10-7, depending on what his work offers.

I'm thinking that it might be possible, once I have a baby, for us to go to sleep with my husband and sleep for 5-6 hours and then have a big long nap in the early evening before he gets home.  Being awake long before he is would let me have nice breakfasts ready at least.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page