Bed-sharing families - tell me how you introduced a new baby to the mix? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-05-2012, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My toddler will be 26 months when the new baby comes. He sleeps between DH and I right now. If ever he wakes in the night he cuddles to me and goes right back to sleep. He can do that with DH, also... he does not insist on it being me.

How did you introduce a new baby to the mix? How did you deal with baby waking up at nights and waking the toddler? Did you just let DH handle the toddler and you handle the baby, for nursing etc?

Tell me your stories!

#2 of 3 Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 PM

We already had a king-sized mattress so we had plenty of room to add the baby to the bed. It all worked out fine. We kept the grownups in the middle and the kids on the edges (with bumpers, of course). They quickly adapted to each other and it was fine. smile.gif

Anyone else?

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#3 of 3 Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 PM

My older one was 5 1/2 when ds2 was born.  We had a king sized mattress on the floor and added a twin next to it.  Ds2 and I were on the twin, then ds1 and dh on the far side.  I never put ds2 on the inside he stayed on the outside always, so when we switched sides, instead of moving him to the other side of me, I turned around so that my head was at the bottom of the bed.  

We never had trouble with ds2 waking ds1.  He wasn't a big crier, and 99% of the time, he just wanted to nurse.  The only time I ever remember him crying at night was when IL's were staying with us and I felt like he was waking up the whole house.  Ugh.  But it was never an issue with ds2.  

The whole thing was really easy and nice.  Good luck!

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page