29 month old won't sleep anymore - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please help me, someone, anyone!!!

DS was never a super nighttime sleeper.  But he was never this bad.  He used to fall asleep between 7-8pm, and wake up once in the middle of the night.  I'd nurse him to sleep, then put him in his crib/bed.  Anytime between 10pm and 3am he'd awaken.  Then I'd bring him back to our bed and nurse him to sleep there.  More recently I'd nurse him back to sleep in his own bed, and fall asleep with him there.

He has never been a very consistent napper.  Lately it has been pretty consistent, though--average of an hour at lunchtime.  Now that I've stopped bfeeding during the day I have to drive him around for a nap in the car!  Ugh!  It's the only place he'll sleep, though.

I didn't realize it at first but the following problems seem to have all happened around the time I stopped daytime breastfeeding several weeks ago.  He still breastfeeds to sleep.  But then,

-he'll often wake up 40-60 minutes later, and need to be breastfed down again

-then, later, he'll do his regular wakeup.  I go to him and breastfeed him.  However...

-the dude never calms down!!!  He breastfeeds actively for the rest of the night, climbing over me every 10-20 minutes to get to the other boob!!!!!!!!!!!  Argh!!!  To make it worse he's been picking at my moles while he nurses.  UGH!!!

I am ready to wean the guy but I am at a loss.  I've totally trapped myself by always breastfeeding or driving him to sleep.  I got "The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers".  But I have to say I just find it annoying.  She makes it sound so logical and easy and it is not. 

Sigh.

Mama needs some sleep!!!

Any advice?

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

#2 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamsia

-the dude never calms down!!!  He breastfeeds actively for the rest of the night, climbing over me every 10-20 minutes to get to the other boob!!!!!!!!!!!  Argh!!!  To make it worse he's been picking at my moles while he nurses.  UGH!!!

This.

No advice unfortunately, as I'm in the same boat. Except my DS is 7mo.

Is he getting his molars?

Big hugs to you mama.

Sincerely,

Burnt out (and my DS just woke again after only 36 mins of sleep, so need to dash).

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#3 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 11:35 AM

Will he take some water from a sippy? My DD still nurses lots but at night there are times when nursing isn't enough and a little water works wonders. As far as the picking at your skin goes, my strategy is twofold: I cover up as much as I can and give her a small plush toy. Usually the water helps her settle and the hands relax. Hth
#4 of 4 Old 10-26-2012, 09:07 PM

sorry, I'm another one with no help but am in the same situation.  My ds is 27 months old.  I have always nursed him to sleep.  He hasn't even gone to sleep in the car since he was under 1 year old.  He won't go to sleep anywhere on accident.  However, I've always been able to nurse him down.  Lately, he has taken over an hour to nurse to sleep.  Then, every few days, it takes longer, I give up for a while hand him off to my husband while I take a break, then I nurse him down wayyyy later.  He ends up going to bed at like 10PM. Which is WAY too late for him.  And for me!  He is driving me insane.  He's all revved up, chatting, rolling around, talking to himself singing, climbing on me.  Then to top it off he also has to pick my moles and scratch my chest when he's nursing.  Mine is working on his molars.  But when I break down and give him some ibuprofen, it doesn't help at all.  So could it really still be molars? Do you think this is their way of naturally night weaning???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page