How to start night weaning and stop cosleeping with 10 1/2 month old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-27-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pregnant with baby #2 and my 10 month old still sleeps with me and nurses practically all night long most nights. I cannot deal with my lack of sleep and her taking so much from me all night. She'll be 16 months when the next baby is born, so I also need to start getting her into her own bed. Any suggestions? She's also doing this new thing where she wants to nurse through her naps everyday.

#2 of 5 Old 11-04-2012, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

my dds were much older when I got pregnant (18 months and 22 months), but I continued to co-sleep through pregnancy and birth.  It was something I was comfortable with.  I don't know if you NEED to get her out of the bed for some reason, but for me, I love my big family bed.  I night weaned my DDs a few months into pregnancy (both at 23 months), but with your DD, she is much younger, so I don't know great techniques for night weaning that age.  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 04:59 PM

i have a ten month old as welland would love to get suggestions on this. my sweetie wakes 7-10 times in his 12 hour sleep period. he nurses much less during the day and all night long! i am trying to get him to nurse more during the day but he is way to busy walking now:)

#4 of 5 Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 PM

I cannot recommend Dr. Jay Gordon's nightweaning plan enough. It saved my sanity when DS was 10 months old and I hadn't had a full night's sleep in  well.. 10 months. It was gentle, attachment-friendly, and saved the sanity of the whole family. I continued to nurse him during the day (and sometimes at night when he was sick or something) until he was 2.5. 

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html 

#5 of 5 Old 11-17-2012, 01:52 AM

I just plainly stopped nursing at night (the times when I feel it is the middle of the night, I am not too sure about the times). I am doing it for about three weeks now, and DD (12 month - nearly) falls asleep quickly after waking up and crying a little bit (I pat her back and sing to her or hold her and stroke her head) but she does not wake any less than she did before the weaning. 

It wasn't the important thing for me though, I wanted to discontinue the all-night-long-nursing. And I did. I just thought about this last night, that she did not start to sleep through the night as so many people suggest. 

We do bedshare though. (I have no idea how to put a kid to bed without bedsharing ;) ) 

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page