Safety of Tempurpedic (memory foam) mattresses and infants - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was curious about the safety of allowing an infant to co-sleep with me in my Tempurpedic bed. I noticed there were also some similar posts on here, but no definitive answer. So, I emailed Tempurpedic and they let me know that they do not feel it is safe for an infant or small child to sleep on one of their beds. This in combo with the off-gassing issue makes me a bit weary about co-sleeping, but I also see on the forum that many people have been doing it for years with no problems and I realize that Tempurpedic has to say this to cover their own butts. I have pasted the email from them below:

Thank you for contacting Tempur-Pedic®.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) does not recommend putting an infant to sleep on an adult bed. Tempur-Pedic® does not manufacture sleep surfaces for infants at this time and in light of the CPSC’s warnings, do not recommend the use of our products for infants and small children.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

We appreciate your interest in Tempur-Pedic® products!

Tyler

Tempur-Pedic Customer Service

Tempur-Pedic North America, LLC.

Lexington, Kentucky

www.tempurpedic.com

#2 of 3 Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

http://safebedsharing.org/safetyguidelines.html gives a good summary of safe bedsharing guidelines, including the use of a firm mattress. If the mattress in question is more pillow-like I would not use it, as the baby can roll against you.

#3 of 3 Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've laid in Tempurpedic beds, and I sink so far in that I can barely get out. In combination with off-gassing, I don't think they'd be safe for co-sleeping at all.

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page