DS Requires Rocking/Bouncing Last 2 Hours of Night - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for some suggestions regarding my 7-month-old son who spends the last 2 hours of his nighttime sleep in a light REM phase. He frequently stiffens his body and arches his back, requiring me to sit up and rock and bounce him so his body relaxes again. On good nights I can do this repeatedly (every 5-10 minutes he requires the bouncing and rocking) until he eventually will go through one more deep sleep and then wake happily for the day. Most days, however, despite my best efforts, I cannot prevent him from prematurely awakening himself, and then he cries and is cranky for the day. I've tried alternating bedtimes, but this makes no difference. My middle child did the same thing and did not grow out of it until after she turned two. I am hoping I can find a solution this time around. I am desperately tired and so is my son. Thank you in advance for your input.

#2 of 5 Old 11-26-2012, 11:47 AM

I have a rocking armchair/recliner in DD's room and on days/nights when she's having a hard time relaxing (light sleep, arching, waving around, etc) I often sleep in there with her on my lap. At the first sign of sleep disruption I start rocking lightly and she drifts off again. She's about 20 months old now but if she's really sick or teething heavily, I resort to this for often a lot more than two hours. It's comfy enough for me to sleep and I'm usually fairly well rested come morning. I don't know if it would work for your LO but it's been a lifesaver for me. I'm trying to transition off of it since I'm expecting baby #2 and won't be able to keep doing that once I also have a newborn.
#3 of 5 Old 11-26-2012, 12:13 PM

I don't have alot of advice, but wanted to at least offer you some support! hug.gif  DS is 19 months and has always done this as well.  Co-sleeping and breastfeeding are the only solution I've found - I don't sleep through this period, really, because he switches breasts alot and squirms, cries out, etc.  But I can sort of half-sleep or rest with my eyes closed, which is better than nothing... caffix.gif  

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#4 of 5 Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 PM

Do you cosleep? Honestly, I think if you cosleep I would just cut out the rocking and bouncing and just lie next to him and rub is back or something while he fusses. It will probably take some time to adjust but I think you'll be helping him in the long run by letting him learn how to get himself back to sleep.

It's complicated.
#5 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My sister always called this "lazy boy" sleep which was key for her HN child.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page