6 month old frequent wakings - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my son was first born he slept in a Moses basket right beside my bed. From about 2 months on he was a GREAT sleeper, up one or two times and easily nursed back to sleep. Once he outgrew the basket at about 4.5 months we stopped swaddling him and started him in bed with us. He started waking more and more often, now its close to every hour that he wakes. I read the no cry sleep solution and am starting to see minor improvements but I am really starting to struggle with the lack of sleep.

Maybe does my son just need more space to sleep well? I love the concept of cosleeping but if he (and therefor l) would sleep better with a different arrangement than I think I need to make a change.
#2 of 4 Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM

I think some babies do sleep better in their own space. It would be very easy to test this out if you could borrow a playpen to use instead of the Moses basket. If it goes well you could get your own or get a crib (DD wasn't comfy in the playpen past about 7 or 8 months). Some moms love a sidecarred crib as it's a great compromise.
#3 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

With hourly wakings having him not right beside me sounds scary.  Has anyone tried moving a baby who wakes so often to a crib?  How bad was it needing to get up from bed to settle them?  Or did the better sleep start right away (I can hope right?)

#4 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Do you have a crib? Can it fit next to your bed? If so, let him sleep next to you in the crib.

If the crib won't fit in your room, you can try camping out in his room for a little while, when you make the transition. That way you are near by if you need to be.

Make sure that he is fully awake when you are helping him during the night, he may not need help if he's not fully awake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page