Can the No Cry Sleep Solution Backfire? Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 7 month old DD wakes up every two hours at night and we tried the Pantley Gentle Removal hoping that she'd learn how to sooth herself back to sleep. She can fall asleep without nursing if she's with her dad or nana or is being worn but if she smells me, she wants to nurse to sleep.

After less than a week of NCSS, DD has learned to unlatch herself once she's done eating but unfortunately she just ends up rubbing her face and "singing"/moaning a lot. We still average the same number of nighttime waking and nursing but getting her to sleep the first time has turned into a 2-3 hour marathon with DH taking over halfway. 

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Should we keep trying because it's too soon to expect actual changes?

Are there any success stories out there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 11:21 PM

We've used the NCSS as well. DS always did a bit of the face rubbng when I unlatched him, so it wasn't really new to me. Most of the time I let him rub his face for a few seconds and he'll stop and go to sleep. If he keeps doing it, I know he's too awake yet and I re-latch him and let him get a bit further relaxed before trying again.

I don't know if that helps you, but it's what has worked for us!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

It helps! Thank you. We're still trying it out and I hope we can get to the point where she'll unlatch and fall asleep without fussing.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 AM

Hi Katmoons,

My daughter is almost 8 months, and we've been doing the NCSS on and off for a while -- I feel like any time I start to see improvement, something happens (teething, travel, illness) that then gets in the way, so I can't really say for sure whether I feel like it's "worked" for us, though I do plan to start working more seriously on sleep next week once my daughter and I are over this killer cold/cough/stomach virus combo that's been making us both miserable. (Nothing like having the baby finally sound asleep beside you only to wake her with a coughing fit, right?). 

That said, I have found recently that often if she's wiggling/rooting/rubbing her eyes a little when I unlatch her, a firm hand on her arm and a "sssh" will get her to settle into my arm, and then she'll usually accept it and stay asleep. Could be worth a try, especially if you've been working on a keyword like "sssh." I was surprised the first time I tried that and it worked -- it hadn't even occurred to me that she would "listen" and realize it was okay to sleep!

Also, thought I'd mention just in case it's relevant to anyone -- I had oversupply for a long time, and almost always did just one-breast-per-feeding. But around 7 months, it just started to seem like maybe dd was getting sleepy at the breast but refusing to give it up not because she wanted more comfort, but because she wanted more milk and was too sleepy to nurse an almost empty breast. I started offering the second breast, and once she'd nursed a little more, she started accepting my pull-offs much more readily. I'd had oversupply for so long that it took a while to occur to me that she might genuinely need more milk!

Good luck!

User Tag List