part-time cosleeping? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-01-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all! I'm new to this forum, and looking for some info from more seasoned mamas about the reality of co-sleeping. Our 6 month old DD has had a difficult time sleeping since she was about 3 months old when she developed some digestive issues. These were easily squared away when I went on a vegan diet, but she made some sort of sleep shift around that time too because she's woken every 2 to 3 hrs ever since. She has very recently ended up being DONE with her crib in the middle of the night so I've been taking her to bed with me. Sometimes she sleeps much better afterwards, but not always. What I'm loving about it though is she doesn't cry at all (and of course the snuggling). But now I'm trying to figure out what co-sleeping would look like for our life. I am a stay at home mom so that's a plus for this arrangement. I'm wandering what to do for naps because since we've fallen into co-sleeping like this she is super resistant to napping in her crib and has been protesting and screaming a heck of a lot more for each sleep, and it's just breaking my heart.

What I'm wondering is this: Is it possible to co-sleep part-time (say just for night-time sleep)? If it's not probably that DD will go for that, what does co-sleeping look like for naps during the day? Does her needing to snuggle to sleep with mom interfere with her ability to be put to sleep by anyone else? Is there anyway to keep her from nursing herself to sleep every single time if she's co-sleeping? We had worked really hard to break this habit in the past and now it seems like she's falling back into it. 

Would love some insight and encouragement. Thanks in advance mamas!

#2 of 3 Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 PM

Have you tried side lay and sneak away for naps?

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#3 of 3 Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 PM

Will she nurse to sleep for naps?  I nurse DS down for naps still (most days it works, today it didn't) and then put him in his crib and he will have a pretty decent nap. 

Nighttime, he has stopped nursing to sleep (still nurses, just won't fall asleep!!!) so I've been putting him in his crib and sitting with him until he's asleep.  Which takes forever, and he gets pretty upset about it, but it's only the first week we've been doing this.  I am hoping eventually it will help his nighttime sleep, but currently he wakes around 11 and comes in our bed and nurses back to sleep because neither of us have the patience to try to get him to go back to sleep in his crib, and it's either that or rock him and hope we can lay him down in his crib and have him stay asleep.  So we just bring him in bed with us because that's where he'd be ending up anyhow.

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page