Weaning 3yo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been nursing for 9 years straight.  Starting with my oldest, who nursed for 3 years, until I gave birth to my second, and the same story for him until I gave birth to my 3rd, 3 years later.  We have co-slept all along, my oldest is now in his own bed, but my almost 6 year old and my almost 3 yo are still in bed.  I am ready to be done with nursing.  I want my boobs back!  The first two naturally weaned through my pregnancy and then didn't want any of the "new milk" so stopped completely at that point.  I am not pregnant now, and don't plan to be again :), so there is no natural stopping point for my youngest.  I am resenting the fact that he is waking up and yelling at me "nurse!"  It really gives me that icky feeling at this point.  I barely have any milk left, he wants to do it more for the comfort of it.  I would love to just cuddle!!!!!  Does anyone have any recommendations for me??  How do you wean a child when you really want to be done?  He doesn't reallly nurse at all during the day anymore, it's just before nap and bed, and during the night.  

#2 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I stopped with dd at 2 1/2.  We built it up for a month before we had travel plans and told her that once we got back from NJ, we would no longer nurse.  We talked about it in such a positive way expressing true excitement that she was getting bigger.  She actually gave up on her own during our trip and did not nurse the last 2 days of travling.  It was much easier than I had thought it would be because I had nick-named her "the boobie monster".  She loved nursing!! I didn't have much milk left either at that time and I knew she was mostly nursing for comfort.  Her morning nurse was the last to give up...but it all went so smooth to my surprise.

On the other hand, almost a year later and she still loves my breasts and wants to hold my nipple in the morning during waking.  Now I am trying to figure out how to wean from this... :)

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#3 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM

I forgot to give you well deserved credit for your 9 years of service to your children.  Great Job Mama!

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#4 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for help.  I guess I should try talking to him about it more instead of just trying to avoid it!  He is about to turn 3 in a couple weeks so maybe we can try to make that his end date?   I definitely need to make it a positive thing because right now it's feeling kind of negative.....I just have never had to really make a big issue of it in the past because it just worked out that they stopped.  

#5 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM

It may end up being easier than you think; I thought I was going to go through hell, but it was as simple as can be.  And trust me, nothing is SIMPLE with Piper, so I really lucked out.

After my response to you, I tried in a really positive manner to ask her if she was ready to try putting herself to sleep at night, and she excitedly said yes.  And so she did.  I don't expect miracles, but I hope we can continue in this manner.  She still wakes up a bunch at night to sleep with me, but putting herself to sleep would be a big leap.  If she's not ready, okay then, but it worked out fabulously last night anyway.

Best wishes to you!

#6 of 6 Old 02-23-2013, 06:58 AM

I nursed DS until 2.5, and basically warmed him up for about a week by telling him my milk was almost gone. once that week was up, I reminded him that milk was all gone, but we could still snuggle until he fell asleep. it was rather easy. DD is 1.5 and I an SO ready for her to reach that level of understanding. kudos for 9 years, mama!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page