4 bears in the bed, and the Mama Bear said... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Roll over!!! I'm crowded!!!"

Sorry but I couldn't resist using that song to describe our situation!

So I have my two kids in bed part time with us. They both start in their own beds/rooms. The little guy (18 months) joins us at 11:30ish, I think he can hear my head hitting the pillow!!! My daughter (nearly 5) comes in sometime after that almost every night. She generally doesn't even wake me.

The problem is two fold, I guess. She likes to sleep right up against me, which makes me feel crowded and usually HOT! I've always got my little guy on the other side, usually nursing and almost always laying on my arm. Sometimes I just get upset because I want to sleep without someone touching me! DD doesn't quite understand that. Obviously, DS doesn't either, but I can't help but think that if I could roll onto my stomach a bit away from him, he might not be knocking on the door of mom's breastaurant 6-7 times every night. I mean, it seems we are no where near night weaning like I'd hoped we would be.

Sooo, I was kinda thinking its time for her to get a super awesome sleeping bag she can unroll next to the bed, the " special bed" a la Dr. Sears. But I have a feeling this will fail miserably! I feel guilty "kicking her out" of the bed, and we have a king so there really isn't room for a twin next to our bed. But I feel like I'm stuck (literally AND figuratively) and I need to get some better rest!

Help, please and thank you!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#2 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wouldn't feel guilty kicking her out if you need the space. You're still talking about letting her be in the room with you, just not in the same bed. I think that letting her "camp" in your room could be a good thing to try.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 7 Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 PM

We have a small thin mattress under our bed that can slide out so that our DD could sleep on it if need be. So far she hasn't needed/wanted to, but it is more comfortable than a sleeping bag on the floor. 

Maybe that can be an alternative for you? It tucks under the bed so it is not in the way when not in use.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I was thinking a mattress or something to put the sleeping bag on top of would be appropriate. Where did you get it? Is it inflatable? A camping mattress? It would have to be something she could pull out easily so it doesn't require us to get up in the night! Thanks!

#5 of 7 Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 PM

If there is an ikea near you, they have many sizes and styles of mattresses, and they have a wonderfully non-crunchy feeling protector to keep nighttime accidents off the actual mattress. Alternately, I think that there is a toddler bed mattress size that is smaller than a twin. Maybe that would work?
#6 of 7 Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzeps View Post

Yes, I was thinking a mattress or something to put the sleeping bag on top of would be appropriate. Where did you get it? Is it inflatable? A camping mattress? It would have to be something she could pull out easily so it doesn't require us to get up in the night! Thanks!

Sorry. I didn't see your question.

Yes, we got it at IKEA. It is actually a part of a futon mattress. The mattress zips two pieces together. But we just kept the one part for this reason.

It is about the size of a toddler mattress, but a bit longer. But any mattress will do. I guess the point would be to have it be comfortable enough that she will not climb into bed with you, bt not so comfortable that she will sleep there every night :)

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#7 of 7 Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Heh heh. Yes. It's a fine line, isn't it?? Thanks for the Ikea tip. I'll have to look next time we are there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page