4 month old waking up in pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 4 months old, adjusted age (he was a preemie) and has been sleeping and waking up just fine. Lately though, when he wakes up from a nap or at night, he wakes up as if he is in pain. He is writhing around and screaming and bending his body like something is hurting him. He has acid reflux and is on Prevacid for this so presumably that is under control. It doesn't appear to be gas because he doesn't pass gas a whole bunch, just a normal amount. His stools are the same as they have always been. I do not know what is making him feel so much pain!

Usually my husband or I will pick him up and hold him upright for a little bit and he will fall back to sleep. Sometimes he can be soothed with a pacifier or with a little milk (I pump for him exclusively). He prefers to sleep on his belly. We have had absolutely no luck getting him to sleep on his back since we brought him home, so he always sleeps on his belly. When he is in pain, he puts his behind up in the air and scoots all around the bed. He doesn't open his eyes, just cries and scoots and contorts his body.

I called the doctor and they are going to call me back about possibly getting the Prevacid dosage adjusted. The thing is, he doesn't really spit up as much as he used to before he was put on Prevacid so I am not sure that it is the reflux. But I could be wrong.

I haven't changed my diet lately either so I don't know if that would have to do with the sudden change.

any ideas?

#2 of 4 Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Did your infant recently get the Rotavirus vaccine?

#3 of 4 Old 01-16-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post

Did your infant recently get the Rotavirus vaccine?

No, not recently. He got it mid-November.

#4 of 4 Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My kids had infant reflux. My guess is that his dose is not high enough, or worse, if you're using the compounded version (liquid) it may be being prepared incorrectly (not enough buffer) which renders it useless. 

If he's on the solutabs, he may just need a higher dose.

Here's a great site for infant reflux questions and support:

www.infantreflux.org  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page