Night wean or See How things fo when #2 arrives? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS will be two and a half when his little sister arrives at the end of May or early June.  Right now he seems to be moving toward STTN on his own, but we are right in the middle of what has to be a major milestone because he has been up and wanting to nurse A LOT lately.  I was hoping that he would just be able to transition himself to STTN on his own, but I'm not sure that is going to happen.  I'm also not sure if ending our cosleeping arrangement is going to make things easier or harder.  right now I am sleeping with DS in his room since DH wanted DS to start transitioning to his own room.  Typically I would go in with DH until DS woke up, but I've been exhausted and don't want to mess up DS's transition (he had been sleeping 3 or 4 nights straight through per week and only stirring to make sure I was there and occasionally asking to nurse, the other nights he would only wake up once or twice to nurse from previously being an every sleep cycle nurser). 

So I guess my question is, has anyone else just "wung it" in terms of having a newborn in the picture? DS is not the type who is easily pushed through transitions before he is ready so pushing him into night weaning right now would be really hard.  OTOH I don't want to wait too long if I were to do it so that it's not a "new" thing when the baby gets here.  But I feel like if I wing it I am going to set myself up for disaster!!

I've been playing around with the idea of bringing him back into the "big bed" except I don't think DS will want to, so I'm not sure how night nursing two would work.

Ideas?

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#2 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 03:16 PM

I am very worried about the sleep situation when #2 comes and for me, it's not an option to not have DD nightweaned before August when we are expecting #2. She will be 20 months. I just don't think I can handle nursing a newborn and a toddler during the night. I am not against her staying in our bed but she is a very light sleeper and I don't see how it will work having a tiny baby waking and nursing and trying to keep DD asleep. 

I set the date for April 1 to start nightweaning. I read the Dr. Jay Gordon version. Once we have that down, we will consider moving her to a floor bed in our room. Hopefully we come up with something that works before August! 

Sorry I didn't help you, Baby.  Just joining in on the "omg I will have two babies to parent at night, help!" 

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#3 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Totally "get it"! DS is a fairly light sleeper too, but I'm thinking that if the baby keeps him up he might go into his own room by choice....maybe.  Ugh! I mean a lot totally depends on the personality of the new baby...but we won't know that until she gets here, of course.  The "date" I was thinking for starting things if we were to nightwean was mid feburary...but that came a lot quicker than I thought it would!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page