Share your best tips with me - baby won't sleep - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, 

this is for a friend. A young mother, first baby. Never thought she would be a mother, but what a mother she is now! She is very gentle, caring, loving. And she got nothing from this herself joy.gif

Now, her problem. Her five month old son does not want to sleep. At the moment he get only upset and cries and cries, and won't sleep at all. (I mean, obviously he sleeps a bit, but it's totally exhausting for everybody).

It's daytime and nighttime sleep. 

She tried holding him, she sleeps in one bed with him, she carried him, bounced him, did play sounds. Nothing helps. 

I told her: This too shall pass. And tried to give her all my mommy wisdom. But maybe someone out there has a great idea. 

Please share!

Thank you so much. 

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

#2 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 AM

Is she sure he's even tired to begin with? Do all the lights/sounds go off a few hours before he's ready to sleep so he can properly wind down? Is something upsetting his tummy? Maybe the bed is uncomfortable?

#3 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is this a new problem or has he never wanted to sleep? If it's new, he could be having a growth spurt, or teething pain or something. If it's been going on all along, he could have a food sensitivity. Does he have digestive problems?
#4 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

swaddle the baby- but keep their legs unswaddled. put them in a baby swing- like a fisher price type of one that plays music- put it on the highest speed and even push it to make it go a little faster- and turn the swing music on, pop in a pacifier and sit in front of them and push it for a while-- that worked for my guy at that age!

#5 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM

At 5 months we spent a lot of time on our exercise ball. I'd lay DS across my lap, with his head on my arm or in my hand, and bounce, bounce, bounce. If that didn't work, it was time for the Moby wrap. Hard to get him into his bed, but during the day that doesn't matter. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page