Did you still get a crib? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are planning on bedsharing once the adorable little parasite is born and graduates from the cradle I've been gifted. However, I'm still up in the air about whether or not I should get a crib if I, honestly, have no intentions of using the thing. My mom and my sisters are all up in arms that I HAVE to have a crib, even if I do have the baby sleep in the bed with us because they are essential for naps, or a place to put the kid while you are cleaning, cooking etc.

I'm thinking of compromising and registering for a pack n play. I've heard those are can be used as a crib substitue and they are only $60, so if I would only use it sparingly it's not a big deal rather than a $200 price tag. 

Anyways, I want your opinions. Did you still buy a crib? How often did your little one sleep in it? I figured I'll save my "I'm putting my foot down" cards for something a little bigger than whether or not we should put our baby in a glorified prison. 

#2 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

We got one, and at first it was a $400 laundry hamper, and I thought we'd made a huge mistake.  BUT - we got one that converts to a full-sized bed, so I knew we'd use it eventually.  AND - now that DD is a toddler, I have the crib set up as a toddler bed abutting my bed.  It's a perfect happy medium between co-sleeping and having our own space.  She actually can't sleep in the bed with my anymore (gets overstimulated by my amazing presence :)), so this has been perfect for us.  Your relatives DO have a point about having a safe space for baby, but our high chair or Ergo usually played that role.  There's also always the option of a used crib if you end up feeling like you need one but don't want to spend a lot. 

#3 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

We got one, and at first it was a $400 laundry hamper, and I thought we'd made a huge mistake.  BUT - we got one that converts to a full-sized bed, so I knew we'd use it eventually.  AND - now that DD is a toddler, I have the crib set up as a toddler bed abutting my bed.  It's a perfect happy medium between co-sleeping and having our own space.  She actually can't sleep in the bed with my anymore (gets overstimulated by my amazing presence :)), so this has been perfect for us.  Your relatives DO have a point about having a safe space for baby, but our high chair or Ergo usually played that role.  There's also always the option of a used crib if you end up feeling like you need one but don't want to spend a lot. 

This!! We bought an expensive crib! And barely used it at first. It sat in our "nursery" that was more of a diaper change and get dressed room. Then when our son became a sleepy mover we just side carred the crib to our bed and we love it! It will also convert to a toddler bed and a double bed down the road so it wasn't a huge waste of money. It just seemed like it was for the first year or so!

We also had a pack n play, and didn't use it at all. I did have it set up in our basement though just incase I needed to do something really quick and needed to know my son couldn't get into anything. But other than that, it didn't get its use for what we paid.

Mama to 1 handsome boy born Nov 29/2009 and 1 beautiful girl born May 21/2013 and wife to 1 handsome man, married since Jun 9/2007.

#4 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We were given one as a gift. It was never slept in by either child, and took up a lot of room. It was part laundry hamper, part cat bed. A very nice cat bed I suppose.
#5 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM

We also knew we were going to cosleep but still got a crib for her room. It was $120 from ikea and will turn into her big girl bed one day. Do we use it a lot? No. Only for some naps & to sometimes watch her mobile project stars\plants onto the ceiling. The first 6 weeks she slept with us. I felt like I spent more time making sure she was okay than sleeping. So we bought another crib to turn into a sidecar(take off one side,raise it to our bed level & attach it to the bed). This crib was only $99 at walmart & is really nice. Now everyone sleeps great & we are still only 6 in. max from each other. Does she sleep in the bed with me sometimes? Yes. But I always have the cosleeper too.
#6 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
We are co-sleeping with baby number two now and still don't have a cot or any need for one. Both babies have always slept either on us on on the family bed. We have the mattress on the floor and bed rails on so I feel quite comfortable leaving them their for daytime sleeps (I don't leave the toddler and baby together so for the toddler's sleep the baby stays with me).

A safe place to put them while doing something - baby carrier, floor, washing basket, sink, or baby bath, padded with a towel. Once they're mobile we used a couple of baby gates to create safe areas.

Get one by all means if you think it would be useful but we have found it no hardship to be without it.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Since you have a cradle, you have plenty of time to see how thing go. You can put newborn on a blanket on the floor.

With my oldest I borrowed a bassinet that turned into a glorified cat bed. My second, I didn't have anything. I did later get a used pack n play to keep my toddler in while I mowed the lawn.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#8 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 PM

We had a crib for both kids. Worked/works well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page