Yelling "mom" during the night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This was our first week not co sleeping since birth. Dd is 23 months old. Overall she is doing great. There is just one thing.... During the night she yells "mom". The first night or two I would run in and check on her but she would be back to snoring. Then one night I turned the monitor off ( her bedroom is right next to us anyway) and ignored if she yelled mom once but twice I would go and check on her. At the twice mark which was only once she I think woke herself up and was sitting up in bed. She easily feel back asleep. Last night she did the yelling thing again. I didn't wait for the second yell because the first one scared the heck out of me cause I was actually getting some sleep. I decided just to lay with her for the night even when I was with her she yelled for me.... Now when we did co sleep sometime she say mom and go back to sleep. So I guess I am wondering how to get her to stop yelling for me at night??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 AM

My 22 month old still wakes and cries for me and sometimes she's hysterical and needs a few minutes before she's calm enough to accept hugs or nursing. I do sleep with the monitor and just go to her whenever she needs me. I do wait a few seconds because often she will go right back to sleep. We didnt cosleep in our bed (DH has a medical issue that negates that) so she's been in her own room from day one and I've been going in there to patent her at night. Recently we transitioned her to a very low double bed and it's been great. She still wakes at night though and I just keep doing what I have done all along. I don't think there's anything you can do to make her stop waking up and calling for you. I'd wait a few seconds, see if she goes back to sleep and go to her if she doesn't. You are very available for her and go to her so apart from being up a couple of times a night, it doesn't seem like a big problem (please correct me if I'm wrong). I think she will simply outgrow it eventually. I think the best thing to do is be available for her and on tough nights simply stay and sleep with her. It's what works for me. I've barely been in my own bed for the last few days since DD is working on those 2 year molars and she's sleeping very lightly and restlessly. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Ok well it sounds like its normal then. Yeah it's not a huge deal, just startling. smile.gif like yours she has been in her room since birth which I do think helps big time.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 AM

Startling, yes! DD literally gets me to sit bolt upright in a fraction of a second and there have been plenty of times I'd wait, start walking and by the time I reached my door she was asleep again. Overall the big bed has been wonderful and on good night she's only up once for a quick nursing. I'm expecting number 2 so I'm pretty sure it will all go to hell in a handbasket once baby arrives lol. It would be great if they just slept through the night already.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Oh don't talk about regression in sleep!! I have another on the in June. I have noticed that she seems more well rested in the morning now that she has the whole bed.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 AM

Lol omg I'm due in July! Sounds like our kiddos will have the exact same age gap! Honestly we got her a double so I can bring baby in and cosleep with both when DD has a rough night. I'm the "hope for the best, expect the worst" type so I'm trying to prepare for a tough time. What really kinda worries me is being away from DD for the birth (I'm going to a nearby hospital; home birth just isn't for me) and how that's going to affect lil miss nurse-to-sleep.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

The nights away are a concern for sure! It could be rough.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My little boy did this until he was about 5!!!  Once or twice per night he'd wake up and yell, "MOM!!!" I would nearly fall out of bed in panic each time because I'd be sound a sleep. After a while I stopped getting up and I'd just yell down the hall, "What?" and he'd respond, "I love you!" and I'd yell back, "I love you too!" and he'd fall back to sleep. I really think he was just waking up just enough during one of those light sleep stages to feel a bit afraid and alone and so he'd immediately think of me (because our kiddos are so darn attached to us), and he just wanted to be reassured that I was close by. I know he loves me but I really believe that his "I love you" was really "I need you." He just needed to hear my voice and that would reassure him and he'd fall right back to sleep.

Now that he's 7 and hasn't done this in a long time, it's such a sweet, sweet memory.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that is a sweet way to look at it.

User Tag List