Nightwaking, cosleeping, and the power of the boob - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas, forgive me for beating what is probably a very dead horse. I know that probably a vast majority of posts in this forum are dedicated to very similar subjects as mine. I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel or break new ground in the field of baby sleep, I just need some support from you like-minded mama's.

My son is almost 10 months old, bedshares, and has been breastfed on demand since birth. We had a bumpy first several months, per the norm, then everything settled down and we hit a good stride. Bounce, pat, sing, nurse to sleep by 8, nurse at around 11, nurse around 4, and awake between 7 and 8 most days. Because he fell asleep by 8 and wasn't yet rolling over or crawling, I could put him in our bed, turn on th monitor and go hang out with hubs and have some adult conversation and relax.

Recently, our stride broke. He fights sleep like never before, which is saying a lot. And it sometimes takes 2+hours to get him to sleep only to have him wake 45 minutes later. Now, instead of waking at 11 and 4, he wakes every 2 hours to nurse and nurses for up to 30 and 45 minutes.

That in and of itself would be easy enough to deal with but add it to the fact that he will only nap while being worn and bounced and now nursed in the Boba, I'm exhausted. He's a big baby at 25lbs and wearing/bouncing for upwards of 4 or 5 hours a day is killing me. Add to THAT the fact that on the rare occasion that I can get him to sleep in the bed, I can't relax bc I'm afraid he's going to roll/crawl/fall onto the floor and you're looking at one burnt out mama. I know I could attach rails to the bed, but we can't really afford it right now. Our mattress and boxsprings are on the floor so it's not really too high, but still I worry.

I don't want to nightwean and I don't want to stop cosleeping, but he's just so restless at night I wonder if I'm doing him a disservice. And that he is so completely dependent on th boob to fall back to sleep...I mean, I certainly don't want to sleep train, but that level of dependency can't be good, can it?

I'm just so tired. And so is he. And I just want to know that all this is normal and ok and I haven't broken him or ruined his prospects for falling asleep on his own one day.

Mama, wife, thread-killer
#2 of 2 Old 02-15-2013, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

im sorry to hear about this. my son too was a horrible sleeper. i still have to hold and bounce him while standing near the shower for him to fall asleep for nap time. but.....i night weaned and it is bliss. i am not advocating night weaning and i know there are some strategies/advice out there for you get so i am hoping someone else will reply with advice. i hope you find resolution soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page