Nighweaning, twiddling, increased night waking - child seems to be suffering, mother a little worried and a lot tired. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-25-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

First I want to say that I am going to give my worries a bit of time to evaluate whether what's going on is related to a cold that's been working its way through our family or if it may be related to recent events that have disrupted DC's schedule a bit. 

But...I can't help but be a little concerned about what's going on with DC's sleep. 

We have started the very gradual process of weaning and things appeared to go well. I didn't have any delusions that nursing less at night would automatically mean longer sleep stretches but I am a bit surprised to find that DC is sleeping worse since becoming accustomed to eating more during the day/less at night. 

Last night, for instance, it felt like she had to be touching my nipple for the entire night, which is not going to work for me for all that long. On top of that she seemed to wake disturbed many, many times - more than when she was all night nursing. 

I do not think she is hungry or thirsty because she wakes up and sort of "tells" me that she wants to nurse for food/drink. This is different. I don't think she has an ear infection but it's almost like that (but more "upset" than "in pain").  

Can you all talk to me about your experiences with this? Specifically about night weaning and an increased need for all night comfort. Also, about the relationship between weaning and twiddling? I really don't want to replace nursing with twiddling my breast. I dislike it for one but I also want DC to have a soothing method that other adults can do with her (specifically her father).  

I'd love to her your thoughts...

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 4 Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hmmmm...have the past nights been any different?  Neither of my sons uses my breasts themselves for comfort.  If the nipple isn't in their mouth, then they don't care what its doing.  But I can imagine that maybe a night shirt with pompoms on it or some other kind of raised area, cord, tie might help.  I know, that sounds stupid to me too but I know that DS2 likes to pull my hair while nursing asleep or awake and if I can get a hoodie string or something similar into his hands befores he finds my hair, he twiddles and pulls that instead.  Maybe your husband would like to wear a pompom shirt to bed?  I'm sorry, that image is making me laugh.  I'm not trying to minimize the issue.  If my DC twiddled my nipples all night, I would throw myself screaming from the bed.  Kudos for tolerating it for one night. 

What about teeth?  Has she gotten her two yr molars yet?  Teeth wreak havoc on our sleep.  Nothing I ever did worked if it was teeth. 

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#3 of 4 Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

We actually had a MAJOR breakthrough. I decided to nurse downstairs, then kiss the "boobies night night" and then we did "book night-night". 3 days in has been a big success!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#4 of 4 Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yay!  Glad to hear! 

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page