New baby coming and freaking out about sleeping arrangements - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-17-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter will be 19 months old when this baby comes. Currently she's very attached at night, latched on most of the night and probably wouldn't sleep more than an hour if left by herself.

I wouldn't have a problem continuing but with the new baby I'm going to have to be attached to the newborn at night.

Daddy doesn't want to stop cosleeping with her. I can't even imagine how this is going to work out and I'm really nervous. No idea that I've come up with sounds feasible. 

Surely others have been in this situation and have an answer?

ETA: I guess what I'm saying is I need to night wean her but I can't begin to imagine that she's going to go along with that.

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFdelayedvax.gifcrochetsmilie.gif               luxlove.gif Happily married 06/2013 love.gif       bouncy.gif DD1 (S) 04/2012  waterbirth.jpg

candle.gif missed mc 04/2013 at 9 weeks candle.gif              stork-suprise.gif Due 09/2014 belly.gif

#2 of 5 Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM

I am in a similar situation--I have a 23 m.o. and am expecting baby #2 in September. DS used to be latched on almost all night, too, and we did (mostly) night wean him. The first few nights were rough, but he now sleeps through from about 7:30pm until 4 or 5am! After that, he is latched on almost continuously until we get up around 7, so we need to work on that. 

The night weaning isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. He cried a lot for the first 2-3 nights, but I held him and kept reminding him that we would nurse in the morning. Anyway, I know it seems like a daunting task when you haven't done it yet, but once you get through it, you will be glad you did. 

Hope this helps!

#3 of 5 Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 PM

Have you checked out Elizabeth Pantley's website or books (No-Cry Sleep Solution)?  She also has a FB page.  She has wonderful advice (in my opinion) on this subject.  May worth checking out.. :)

#4 of 5 Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 PM

I went through a similar situation a few months back. My cosleeping DD was 19 months when I weaned her completely, and i was about 4 months pregnant with my second. We started with weaning at night first, by having a water bottle in the bed or beside the bed and when she woke up my DH would give it to her, explaining that mama couldn't breastfeed at night anymore and talking to her as well as comforting her without the breast. This along with him putting her down at night was a real help.
I am not sure if you are planning to tandem nurse, but for me it was important to have a break from breast feeding for both me and dd to adjust before the new baby comes and I will be breast feeding on demand again. When we finally weaned completely it was during the Christmas holidays when our schedule was all over the place and we were staying with family. Everything was already out of the normal routine and so stopping breast feeding seemed to fit easily into this temporary schedule. It went very well, for both of us. My dd has since continued to wake up to drink water at night (and is still cosleeping but in her own bed beside ours) and seems to be comforted by drinking cows or almond milk from a baby bottle (which she never used as a baby!).
Good luck!
#5 of 5 Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 PM

mine was two when I had his sister and very attached at night (same thing, nursing at night and sleeping attached) and while we read books and talked about how I was going to have to nurse baby at night instead and kept a sippy of water in bed that we offered nothing really worked. The night I was in labor was tough as he would not sleep and was crying/sad with daddy all night. That is until I had the baby (he came down to watch) and then he went and napped with daddy. He didn't nurse much the first day/night as he would wake up and go to me, see the baby, then cuddle with daddy instead. After a few days he asked to nurse at night again but would kinda hang over me, nurse for a bit and then go back to sleep by daddy. So it can all work out :) sorry, nak 

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page