Major Regression During Dr. Gordon Night Weaning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

I see some other threads on this topic but they don't address what we are experiencing. Wonder if anyone has any thoughts/ideas for me.

My son is 18 mos old in a couple of days. He is my third and I used Dr. Jay Gordons night weaning method successfully with my first two around this age. I have co-slept with all of them.

My third has always been a poor sleeper; the best nights we've had are 3-4 wakeups. Around 16 mos I started being able to get him back to sleep sometimes without nursing, so after a bout of sickness I started on Dr. Gordon's plan.

I did modify it slightly. I skipped the first phase of unlatching when drowsy because it made my son launch into a full blown tantrum. So we just started out nursing to sleep (~9:30 pm) then no milk til sunup. He has enough verbal skills to understand light in the window, milkies awake, and milkies sleeping.

So after a few days we got to the point where he was waking only once, if at all, and was able to resettle on his own. After a week I felt like he definitely had it. *I* was not able to sleep through the night but he was doing great. Then he started waking up not long after going to bed and asking for milk, and screaming at me when I said milkies sleeping. It's been getting worse, last night this went on for the better part of FOUR HOURS until he finally passed out at 1:30am and slept til sunup. There was so much screaming and crying, it was absolutely horrible. after the progress we experienced I do not want to go back to nursing all night!!! But screaming all night is not something I can handle either. greensad.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

This happened with my nearly 18mo son recently, and it turns out he was teething molars.  Check his mouth? 

We have some good nights, and some hard night, but with the brutal teething (he has eruption cysts), I've backed off a bit and plan to start again when he's more comfortable.

Good luck!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you! He does seem to be in the early stages of getting his incisors so it's possible they are bothering him. I have kept on and the last two nights have been better. He woke up 1-2 times between bedtime and sunrise and resettled pretty easily without much intervention from me. I will keep watching his mouth.

Also right around the time we started this, he started exhibiting a LOT more independence. He started having occasional tantrums and saying 'no' in response to almost everything I ask him...even things like, do you want to take a bath or do you want to nurse. He is much busier. I am feeling like I quite suddenly lost my baby. Do you think this is a coincidence? Also I have to say that seeing how bright and energetic he is after an uninterrupted nights sleep leaves me with mixed feelings, like I should have tried earlier to get him better sleep. Mama guilt is the worst.

User Tag List