When do you stop worrying about SIDS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My area seems to have a super aggressive SIDS awareness thing going on so every product I buy has SIDS warnings and "back is best" slogans all over the place (it's even written on the front of his sleepers... you'd think it would be on the back... but anyway...), they've turned me into a paranoid nutcase.

When I'm tired I've even found myself unconsciously flipping over stuffies if I see them face down and if the dogs sleep with pillows or blankets over their face I even free their airways ROTFLMAO.gif

When are babies/toddlers officially out of the woods? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I stopped being worried around 6-7 months. If I remember correctly the vast majority of sids cases occur around the 4 month mark. My son is 9 months old and if he puts a light blanket on his head or sleeps on his stomach I let him be.
#3 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I believe peak time is 4 - 6 months, but it can occur up to 2 years old.

I find myself much more comfortable as they pass 6-7 months and into a year, probably because they are becoming mobile and move a lot more in their sleep.

#4 of 6 Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Yeah, I stop worrying as much around 6 months. My 4 mo still sleeps on me in a carrier or downstairs (where he gets woken by his brother often eyesroll.gif ~sigh~) and will until he's 6 months old. Then I'll feel better letting him nap upstairs in the crib. People say I'm making life tough by doing this but it's really for my mental health, so oh well :) 

After 6 months I relax a lot. Hopefully I can teach DS2 to sleep happily away from me then!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#5 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 AM

Sere234- can you share more about what you mean about sleeping in carrier? I have thought about this a lot not been able to find anybody else doing it. which carrier? do you mean laying down? I am so interested as I worry about both my &baby to be's sleeping positions.
#6 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

My baby used to take naps on me when I carried him in a wrap while I was doing housework. It wasn't intentional, it was just the only way I could get through vacuuming the house or cleaning my huge fish tank without interruption. About 5 minutes in, he would just fall asleep. It wasn't really my preferred method of him napping though, I would always worry about breaking his neck or bonking his head on something  blush.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page