Sleep disorders link (dramatic parasomnias: confusional arousals, sleep walking, night terrors) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been searching for an answer to what is going on with ds at night. It took me a long time to find a name for it.  Everyone with whom I've spoken about it suggested that he is having night terrors, but from my reading, his behaviors didn't fit.  I kept searching thinking that maybe it was different enough from night terrors that there may be something I could do to change it.  I finally found a the term "confusional arousals," which fits much better.  I thought I'd share this link, as it has nice descriptions of the common "dramatic parasomnias" as well as treatment (spoiler: there is no real cure but time, and in some cases they don't grow out of it).

Hope this helps some here who are struggling with troubling night time behaviors with their little ones.  

I wish you all peaceful nights!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1281387/

me: C (33), wife to P (35), mom to peanut butter angel1.gif (1/10), porky jog.gif(5/11), and dumplin' baby.gif(10/12).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

OMGosh, something made me see you post. I have been having all sorts of trouble at night with my son. I am going to read the link now. I hope I find info...thanks for sharing. I may post later after reading.

#3 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

I hope it helps! I spent a lot of time being frustrated and angry with ds because I thought he was just having tantrums at night. In a way he is, but he has even less control over it than a day time tantrum. I'm glad I've come to understand what's happening so that I can let go of the frustration and be completely compassionate. It has actually helped me react more positively to his day time tantrums as well. Best of luck with your lo!

me: C (33), wife to P (35), mom to peanut butter angel1.gif (1/10), porky jog.gif(5/11), and dumplin' baby.gif(10/12).

#4 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

"Confusional arousal" seems to fit our situation, too.  Of course, now I'm worried that she's having epileptic seizures, but anyway.... :)  A very helpful article.

#5 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 05:56 PM

That was so, so helpful!!! My 7 year old had all kinds of weird waking up issues, which according to that are the confusional arousals.... they did get better as they got older but honestly she could not have slept alone from 2-4 years of age (or if she was asleep alone, fairly often she would wake up and need to be settled... but it was that weird upset, crying thing, even crying for mommy though I was RIGHT THERE that freaked me off, along with lovely things like walking off the edge of the bed, etc.) I always said it was "sleep terrors" but didn't feel that was the right term, since she wasn't screaming or anything.

She still won't resettle herself very well if she wakes up, but she no longer has that extremely agitated behavior. It also makes sense about why when we heard her, if we got to her *quickly* enough we could almost just lay her back down (she'd usually stand up or something, as I recall) and she would fuss for a bit and then be OUT again. It was so weird!

Does anyone know if having significant episodes of the confusional arousals in infancy/toddlerhood is linked to sleep terrors when kids are older? I really hope not!!!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#6 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Here's another nice link that I found while researching confusional arousals. 

https://www.chw.org/display/PPF/DocID/41206/router.asp

BetsyPage, it says that toddlers who experience confusional arousals are more likely to go on to become sleep walkers as adolescents and adults.  It features a chart that breaks down the common parasomnias according their characteristics: what time of night they typically occur, sleep stage, duration, etc.

This link is to an article on assessment and treatment of pediatric sleep disorders.  I haven't actually read through it yet...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898839/

rest well!  I hear ds talking to himself in his bed right this second!!!

#7 of 8 Old 05-31-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekcez View Post

Here's another nice link that I found while researching confusional arousals. 

https://www.chw.org/display/PPF/DocID/41206/router.asp

This link is to an article on assessment and treatment of pediatric sleep disorders.  I haven't actually read through it yet...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898839/

rest well!  I hear ds talking to himself in his bed right this second!!!

Thank you for sharing, this is brilliant and exactly what my sister-in-law needed!

#8 of 8 Old 06-06-2013, 04:37 AM

Based on who had sleepwalking and night terrors in my family (siblings) those with food intolerances had them. I wonder if there's a connection. If I had a child with this problem, I'd keep a food -sleep diary, to see if there's a connection to anything.

Tags
Sleep

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page