When do you stop having sex with a baby/toddler in the room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-11-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son just turned 1 and he's beginning to show signs that he's understanding what's going on around him so I'm starting to get that creepy feeling having him in the room blush.gif

He's asleep in his own crib anyway but lately it's been kind of distracting.

Does anyone draw the line at a certain point?

#2 of 9 Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would think when you start to feel uncomfortable about it would be where you draw the line, but I can see how it might feel a little nebulous. 

#3 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM

I could never have sex with DD in the room even as a newborn. I don't think there's anything wrong with doing so but I just simply couldn't relax with her there. We'd just do it next door so I could hear if she woke up but she wasn't cramping my style wink1.gif

ETA I think when it makes you uncomfortable, that's the time to change. For me that time was birth lol
#4 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post
ETA I think when it makes you uncomfortable, that's the time to change. For me that time was birth lol

Haha, exactly...DD is only almost 5 months old but she's so aware and watches everything with such curiosity that I just can't do anything of that nature if she's awake in the room.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#5 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 11:35 PM

I think it also depends on how deep a sleeper your baby is. I've never been ok with the baby being awake and in the same room, even very early on. Asleep, no big deal.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#6 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

He's a pretty deep sleeper. He's not a fan of his crib so I know if he's not crying in there, he must be asleep lol

#7 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

It's probably a personal thing. My son (16 months) sleeps in a crib in our room. Once he goes to sleep, we feel free to have sex in the room. When he was a tiny newborn, we'd have sex with him asleep in the bed. Later, when he was sort of in the 4-8 months range and enjoyed playing with toys on the floor, we occasionally had sex with him awake in the room. But I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing it with him awake anymore. Asleep? Sure.

#8 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 04:43 PM

I have no idea if I'd be comfortable having sex with a baby awake in the room. My kids have all been too high maintenance to leave us alone long enough while awake in the same room with us, for me to even attempt something like that XD

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#9 of 9 Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm comfortable with it when they're sleeping up through toddlerhood, at which point we've moved them in with the older children. We are pretty quiet about it when we're in the room with the baby, so as not to wake him up and inadvertently end grownup time.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page