Transitioning from family bed to own bed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-15-2013, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

I would like to hear stories from families who have transitioned an older child to their own bed.  DD is almost 7.  Every family has to do things in their own time and what's right for them.  Any helpful tips are appreciated!

Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 AM

Ahhhh! I can't wait to read others advice! It's been years since I last had a perfect nights sleep- heck, even half a nights sleep! Ohhh, what a morning must feel like to wake up refreshed without new battle wounds from the co-sleeping four year old kicker!
#3 of 6 Old 04-16-2013, 05:51 AM

When we were getting DD to fall asleep by herself, we would tuck her into bed and give her lots and lots of books, and music or a story on CD. we told her she didn't have to fall asleep, but she had to stay in her bed and read. Occasionally she would come out several times, but we would re-direct her back to her bed. Eventually she'd just fall asleep. I believe that nobody likes to fall asleep alone, in a dark room. give you kid something to keep them feeling secure until they get tired enough to fall asleep on their own. 

K, wifey to M, PROUD SAH-mama to Catherine Grace
Had a dreamy VBAC waterbirth.jpg to handsome John Gabriel
Crazy about femalesling.GIF  cd.gif familybed2.gif

#4 of 6 Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemama09 View Post

When we were getting DD to fall asleep by herself, we would tuck her into bed and give her lots and lots of books, and music or a story on CD. we told her she didn't have to fall asleep, but she had to stay in her bed and read. Occasionally she would come out several times, but we would re-direct her back to her bed. Eventually she'd just fall asleep. I believe that nobody likes to fall asleep alone, in a dark room. give you kid something to keep them feeling secure until they get tired enough to fall asleep on their own. 

Thanks, newbiemama09!  That is helpful advice.  I'm trying to be patient  Just wishing we had bought the king-sized futon. :)

#5 of 6 Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoegel View Post

Ahhhh! I can't wait to read others advice! It's been years since I last had a perfect nights sleep- heck, even half a nights sleep! Ohhh, what a morning must feel like to wake up refreshed without new battle wounds from the co-sleeping four year old kicker!

I hear you, atoegal.  I got kicked a lot in the early years.  Now it seems I just get mushed so that my arms go numb and I end up almost on the floor.  We have two girls and I start the night in-between them.  They both like having one of my arms under their head.  When they fall asleep, I pull my arms out from under them.  DH has been sleeping by himself most of the time for the past 7 years.  I go sleep with him after the kiddos fall asleep.  But usually one wakes up crying and I go back in with them.  I'm just really uncomfortable and have not been sleeping well recently.  Time for a change!

#6 of 6 Old 04-19-2013, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
we just moved dd1 to her own bed (ran out of room, ds was born 10 weeks ago). We have a twin in our room and she sleeps there. We offered an extra Tv show each week (she used to get 1 per week, now she gets 2), that dd2 doesn't get. She got the Tv for each entire week she sleeps in her bed. She also got to pick extra special bedding after 3 weeks of staying in her bed all night. Now it isn't ev en an issue. I do lay with her and dd2 until they fall asleep and then transfer her out when dh and I go to bed with ds. Works well for us.

Good luck

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page