Debating an Arms Reach..&replacement mattress suggestions wanted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2013, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am expecting my first baby. I hope to do some bed sharing. I want a backup plan. I am just learning about all this stuff, &wanting to prepare. I am looking at using replacement mattresses or other useful things for the ArmsReach, &trying to make sure whatever i do get is multipurpose in case she just wont sleep in there. I am also assuming the convertible kind of ArmsReach can be used as a bed instead of playyard & that the bedding would be moved after the bassinnette stage.Is this what other people do? Thanks for reading smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 10:29 AM

I liked my arms reach but only because I sold it for $100 later... He never used it. It was the mini one and too small to be a play yard. It was so hard.

But I have heard some babies love it. It was really just not for us.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:05 PM

My baby didn't like it either. Like the PP, I felt the resale value was one of the things I liked most about it...along with it being a good place to store my water and diapers and change of clothes. smile.gif I thought my 10 lb'er just wasn't comfortable in there so we tried the crib...we never did get good sleep until we started bedsharing at 5 mos. I never did use the co-sleeper as a playpen or for changing diapers, (except in the beginning, in the middle of the night); I preferred to just have a changing pad on the floor and let baby play on a blanket on the floor. The good thing is that since it does have good resale it's not a big risk to get one and not use it much. smile.gif Theres no way to know now what sleeping arrangements will work best for all of you. I started out thinking my baby would sleep in a crib...and with my 2nd and 3rd, we sold the crib and just bedshared from day one.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could also turn a normal crib into a sidecar.cosleeper & attach it to your bed.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 PM

We got an full-sized Arm's Reach off craigslist with our first, and dd ended up being an early crawler, so we couldn't use it for long. She was pushing up onto all fours by 4 months, and the manual recommends that you discontinue use as a cosleeper at that point. So we got a crib with a dropside, removed the drop side entirely and sidecarred it to the bed. We've had it that way ever since. Luckily I was able to re-re-sell it on Craigslist for what I'd bought it for. Never used it as a playyard.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 AM

The Arm's Reach was a dud for me, as well. What I didn't like about it was the several inch drop into the thing. Was not convenient for cuddling or BFing. It's now in my bedroom as a backup place to lay ds. Glad it was a hand-me-down.

&
Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

The one I am looking to buy has been washed in Dreft laundry soap. I am very worried about this scent not being able to "wash out", among other worries which I'm obsessed with right now. If I did buy it, & if I buy a natural mattress to go in it that fits, what I later be able to take that mattress and put it in a crib even if its a little small? All this trying to think ahead yet not knowing what will end up working out is driving me crazy. then I'm wondering what is the worst that could happen if I don't buy anything for sleeping except things for in my bed for leak protection. I am really worried about sharing the bed b/c I love having my blankets up high& think i will move around , my partner is a smoker...i just dont "get it" when i read about bedsharing& the idea of just trying itwithout a backup plan is overwhelming. I guess I just feel really alone thinking through this stuff:(
Old 05-02-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracecody View Post

My baby didn't like it either. Like the PP, I felt the resale value was one of the things I liked most about it...along with it being a good place to store my water and diapers and change of clothes. smile.gif I thought my 10 lb'er just wasn't comfortable in there so we tried the crib...we never did get good sleep until we started bedsharing at 5 mos. I never did use the co-sleeper as a playpen or for changing diapers, (except in the beginning, in the middle of the night); I preferred to just have a changing pad on the floor and let baby play on a blanket on the floor. The good thing is that since it does have good resale it's not a big risk to get one and not use it much. smile.gif Theres no way to know now what sleeping arrangements will work best for all of you. I started out thinking my baby would sleep in a crib...and with my 2nd and 3rd, we sold the crib and just bedshared from day one.
Thats another thing, diaper changes in the middle of the night.. you use the cosleeper to do that in the beginning only then moved to floor? It sounds simple coming from someone else but I just cant figure this out, at least right now. Probably b/c i feel so pressured to decide about the arms reach & what will i do if someone else buys.it. I watched the ads for 6 months& barely a handful showed up, mostly the nonconvertible kind. I was figuring I get more for my money out of the convertible kind, as a possible later bed...but i am also thinking about a bjorn bouncer...this is just too hard weighing everything out.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 PM

Sorry about that!! With my three, I stopped changing their diapers in the middle of the night once they stopped pooping in the night, by about 3 mos at the latest. We use cloth pocket diapers at nighttime. smile.gif

User Tag List